Sunday, April 22, 2018

10,756. RUDIMENTS, pt. 293

RUDIMENTS, pt. 293
Making Cars
My new piano teacher, after the
train wreck, was a Mr. Novack,
on Hillside Avenue, up above
Rahway Ave., at the driving range.
I didn't know anything about him.
My parents had met him one night
somewhere, as his little band was 
playing at some dance or Legion
party or something. The story went
that my father had started talking
with him and one thing led to another,
the subject went to piano lessons
and he said, 'Yeah, I do that too.'
He was also an accountant  -  tax
returns and CPA stuff. So they 
made some kind of a deal, shook 
on it, and after maybe a year and
a half I was back at piano lessons.
Last thing I wanted. And to my
chagrin, it always seemed no one
ever asked me about this stuff.
Kind of common courtesy, I'd have
thought, especially after my last
bout of piano lessons ending me 
temporarily dead and pushed into
a pretzel-shape by fourteen tons of
locomotive (guessing). I mean,
what's up with this? I should
have just said 'take your own
damn piano lessons,' but then
I had to remember that both my
parents were missing a finger.
Really. My father had sawed off 
3/4's of his thumb with a band 
saw in the furniture/upholstery
shop at work, and my mother, 
long ago, during the war (WWII)
had, as a Rosie the Riveter type
of stateside female industrialist,
lost her middle finger in some
sort of machine shop accident.
So, like who ever heard of a
Piano Sonata for Nine Fingers?'
To compensate, I guess they 
were determined that their little 
Gary Ten Fingers would learn to
play piano for them. Sounds like
a good American Indian
name anyway.
-
My previous piano teacher, over
at Claire Avenue, Woodbridge, which
is from where I was leaving when the
train hit us, was a 'Miss Frank'  -  oddly
enough Anne. I don't know if there was
an 'E' on the end or not. Just assuming;
you know those silent 'E' types.  Her
and her mother lived together in a
nice little house all the way down the
end of Claire Ave., which was a white,
(color, not race), concrete street.  I
always liked that - large, seamed slabs.
They kept a very traditional, Jewish
home, and it was always absolutely
perfect, quiet, and clean. When I
was in there, it was scary. After the
train accident, long into my recovery,
a frightfully distraught Miss Frank
came to visit me, at home, a few times
as I recovered.  I made sure to show 
her I'd not lost any fingers. She
wasn't good at jokes. Then she
moved away, together with her
mother, to the old Atlantic City,
where she'd taken a position in a
music school. Thus, Mr. Novack.
-
This Mr. Novack fellow was some
sort of high-standing Woodbridge 
guy. His place is still there. I go 
past it now and then  -  the little 
garage on the side, which had 
been converted to a tax-office, 
also held a nice 'upright' piano  
-  which is where our lesson-hour 
took place each week. The main 
problem was, he smoked big
cigars, constantly. Now, maybe
that was OK if one was, say, 
Gruocho Marx, or George Burns.
They were two guys back then
with big fancy-ass TV careers,
part of whose shtick, each,
was their looming, big, phallic
cigar. But he wasn't them. Ugh!
The stench was atrocious. The 
piano keys were yellow, and even
his breath smelled. A piano teacher
often shares the bench with the
student. So basically I'd eventually
get to breath his expelled air. Oh
joy. I never could say anything 
though. He'd be talking to me,
walking words through a piece,
while clipping and working the
end of his next cigar, which 
he'd then light and go to the 
bench to play the 'offending' 
piece, or some portion of it, so 
I'd get to hear what it was 
supposed to sound like and 
then I'd get my turn to torture 
it like he tortured me. Real
progress, at all times.
-
Other than that, the place 
was all nice enough and the 
lessons went well. I'd bicycle 
there, and back. The only 
problem that ever brought
was passing this one house on 
that hill, heading up to his 
house. There were always 
some three or four kids there
just waiting for me and they'd 
begin winging stones and 
pebbles at me as I both 
approached and passed. No
real damage ever, but a bit of
fear each time, and humiliation. 
I'd occasionally use a different 
block to ride up, but this one
was by far the best and most
direct. I just really hated those
stupid kids. Why they had to
do that was beyond me; and
what, if anything, annoyed 
them about me, I never found 
out. They all died one day in 
a plane crash. OK, NO, not
really; but that's how I felt.
-
When I said before that I still
occasionally go by the house;
I really do  -  it was a small,
stone-finished cottage type
house, facing one street, with
the detached garage/piano studio
facing another. Around the corner 
but still on the same property. I
didn't know a thing about his
home life or his family, but out
that window by the piano I
could always watch his yard,
where there was one of those
free-standing clothesline things,
the kind people used to have;
multiple lines on a pole, like a
square of clothes  -  not the long,
single clothesline. These things 
aren't around much anymore, 
but he had one and he also had, 
about maybe 5 years older than 
me, a daughter. A daughter who
was quite attractive, and finished
off quite well. She'd often be 
there hanging wash. I'd watch.
It was worth it.
-
He never got any other phone 
calls or any other business stuff 
while I was there. I guess he had
no-call hours or something. It 
was a little strange, for I always 
figured there'd be SOME sort 
of interruption. But, no, that 
never happened. One time,
oddly enough, I remember
my father coming to pick 
me up (I guess he had driven 
me there as well), and once 
inside the two of them started
talking, graphically, about
birth control. Huh? Picture 
me, at 10 or whatever I was,
having to listen to all this.
Cigar smoke too. Grown men
talking about weird stuff. My
father had had five kids with
my mother  -  six of you count 
the 1956 one that didn't make 
it  -  and this Mr. Novack guy is
somehow instructing my father
on the proper procedure for 
having the 'loop' inserted 
properly, describing this thing
'shaped like a loop and a cup,
but squeeze it right as it goes
in and be sure it's set'. And 
he wasn't talking about my 
father. I still don't know 
exactly what was going on,
but it hardly matters. Once
back in the car, my father
turns to me, like nothing 
mattered, and says, 'Did you 
understand what we were talking
about in there?' In there? I thought.
Uh oh  -  not wishing to sound
stupid (?) I muttered, 'Oh, yeah,
sure, yeah.' And that was that.
Sometimes I think adults torture
kids just for the fun of it, or
just because they can.



No comments: