Monday, April 23, 2018

10,759. RUDIMENTS pt. 294

RUDIMENTS, pt. 294
Making Cars
Even as a kid, I was never
convinced of Reality being
real. I felt events could be
influenced and changed. I
used to have a theory that
if I could 'picture' something,
I could make it happen. These
are outlandish ideas, even
though currently people make
millions from them in the
vast totemic industry now
arisen, as 'self-help.' Books,
lectures, New Age recordings
and pep-talks. Crazy as ever.
When you come right down
to it, I was crazy as a loon.
One day I was thinking about
x-ray vision  -  from Superman
comics or something  -  and
I realized all you'd see was
bones, nothing at all to do
with seeing girls beneath
their clothing. See what I
mean? Talk about 'if I could
picture something.' I was part-
time idiot and full-time jerk.
Mostly. I wonder how much
of it was like that for others;
I never knew.  My friend,
across the street, Donald, and
his brother, they had a treasure
trove that  -  once I found out
about it  -  bowled me over. I was
never a comics books kind of
guy  -  never liked the colors, the
way the cheap paper absorbed
and killed the tints and hues so
that your eye got the 'idea' OK,
better than black and white, but
without any semblance of a good,
book-quality paper. I didn't like
the words in thought-bubbles or
whatever they were called, and
the whole superhero thing, I felt,
was pretty lame. I always preferred
a book  -  Robinson Crusoe to the
Three Musketeers. Anything.
But, in their attic, these two guys,
on a large, planked open-floor
area, had a stash of probably
a thousand+ comic books. All
sorts, and many dates. At 7 cents
each, I think it was back then,
I guess it was pretty easy to get
a bunch of them going quickly.
Once we got into them, one
Summer, Donald and I were
gone. I think I read 600 comic
books that Summer. Maybe I
was 9, perhaps. I can't really
remember. There are writers
now, Brooklyn and New York
guys, like Jonathan Lethem,
who often weave this whole
comic-book reference thing
into their tales and stories of
those days. I've got to be honest
here, and say it never works for
me, comes off as lame and as
immature, and seems kind of
Mama's-Boy, Jew-Boy stuff from
1950's Brooklyn. It's the sort of
thing that's way to easy to make
work; carrying as it does half the
weight for the writer already, the
nostalgia, the innocent naivete,
the looking back without honor
or harm. Reading a comic book
is about as one-dimensional as
you can get. I stand by that, even
though I already know there's a
large cohort of people ready to
take arms in defense of today's
'graphic-novels' as they now
put it. Ho-Hum. Not for me,
thanks. I demand more.
-
In any case, I felt the need to
at least think I was in control
of what I wanted. It was all crazy
stuff. Like maybe I'd drunk too
much of that Jim-Jones kind of
Kool Aid that rips your head into
believing the old Walt Disney
Show crap about when you wish
upon a star, your dreams come
true. Sickly, cloying tune. The
realist within me wants to say,
'how'd they get away peddling
that crap to kids back then?' while
the other part of me  -  right-brain
hemisphere stuff  -  nods in a form
of intuitive advancement and
approval. The only thing my
childhood ever taught me was
that the most of what we see is
pure hokum  -  dumb effects, and
made up crap advancing a cause.
That's how reality is made.
-
Physicists these days - and I've
known a few through my time
at Princeton : they're a weird,
talkative lot, especially about
imponderables  -  would be none
too careful about filling me in
about the non-representational
aspects of reality; of things not
being what we think, or even
where we think they are. Rather,
by appearances here, they could
actually be there, or twinned with
another variant of themselves
being made manifest in another
location entire, and often with
an alternative outcome  -  some
rendered force of local color
having affected enough the
'realism' that comes forth. Shades
of being two things at once, all
of this. I think maybe this whole
thing can best be summed up with
that old adage about 'If a tree falls
in the forest but there's no one
there to hear it does it make any
noise? Today's answer might be,
'No one there to hear it? No tree.'
-
I grew up in a wasteland, and I
made it my own. I still claim
ownership to it. What it was 
was a post-logical way of thinking,
one in which I had to first convince
myself that what was underway 
was OK. I was never a 'normal' kid,
or at least not after the train wreck
brought me back from something
more or less indescribable and
without duplication. (Here's a rub:
Scientists often say that any form
of experimentation that cannot be
duplicated, laboratory conditions
or not, is invalid. I'll, right now,
take volunteers, thanks, for people 
to leap in front a train....). And
I'm not now a normal 'adult,'
by any conventional terms. The
weirdest and hardest thing right
now is to see how the leapfrog
effect has come into play  -  one
in which religion leapfrogs 
over science and then science 
over religion and then again 
and again. They keep trading 
places and end up pretty much
 the same. The unspeakable,
incontrovertible fact is that it 
all comes down to language. 
And even as a kid, I saw that. 
Werner Heisenberg said 
'Atoms are not things.' Neils 
Bohr said, 'There is no 
quantum world, only an 
abstract quantum description.'
The world only jumps into 
existence when we try to 
measure it. The conceit of 
Mankind is that, first, there 
is something to measure, and
second, that it presents its mass 
and matter to us willingly. That 
may be, but only because it first 
accepts our 'willingness' to 
believe. It doesn't really change 
anything in terms of what we 
call reality. When we want to 
find out where an electron is 
in space, its 'position' - we 
find it. It's a particle. When 
we then go to measure that 
particle's velocity in the 
cosmic-consideration we 
helplessly call 'space/time' 
we can't  -  it's a wave, an 
energy flow that doesn't 
coalesce into anything at 
all until we measure it. By 
all this the world exists? 
Nothing exists until we 
measure it, until then it's 
all potential. Only? So 
what is that table you're 
resting your things on 
anyway? You remember 
that comic-book x-ray 
vision thing I mentioned? 
Sure, she was a 'vision,' 
until I tried really seeing 
her. (To put it in comic 
book terms).
-
I hope that little bit helped. 
A Cornell University physicist, 
David Mermin, said : "We now
know that the moon is demonstrably
not there when when nobody looks."
In other words, observers create
reality by carrying out the act of
observation. Until we look for
it, it doesn't exist. At Princeton, 
a group of those guys were hard
at work with the Cern Accelerator
experiment, deep underground 
in Switzerland or Italy or 
somewhere. Smashing atoms,
or their evidences anyway, at
extreme velocities to break them
apart, to blow matter sky high, as 
it were, if it were. To find the
mysterious 'dark matter' of the
universe  -  which is the multiverse
out beyond our universe, where all
'things' have ended, but also have 
 not ever begun; and all that
exists is energy, the energy of
all possibilities, multiple versions
of everything that could, did, did
not, or could not, be  -  or its
alternative, not be. That, my friends,
we are finding, is 'God.' Every version
of every event. Past, and future, all
as one. They invited me to go there
with them (true story). Princeton 
has the accelerator for six months 
at a time every so often. Deep
underground in Italy, miles.
And miles of accelerator tubing
and velocity equipment too. I'd
have had to quit my job, or at least
get a six-month leave, depart
from home and family, and live 
there, with that group. Working
a bit with them, as crew-member
at the experiment-site. No
guarantees over what might 
occur. And after six months, 
it would be over. I'd have to 
re-integrate into my old society 
and ways, until maybe next
time. Maybe not. If I existed,
if I made it back. If anything
was really there anyway.






No comments: