Monday, April 2, 2018

10,686. RUDIMENTS, pt. 273

RUDIMENTS, pt. 273
(Making Cars)
It has been said that there's
a range of emotions we all
have, or share, or go through.
I don't have that; I've never
felt I had. Basically, outside
of myself and my own 'fears'
about things, I don't have an
emotional range over other
people, or their deaths. I
can apparently remain steely
and cold and unemotional.
The few times, maybe 7 or
8, that death has touched me
-  parents, in-laws, friends  -
I've been unable to grapple with
it directly or even approach the
person soon-to-be-dead and speak
face-on. That's kind of sad, but
it's me. Life is such a perplexing
quandary to me that I find my
defense, my dealing with it, by
not dealing with it. Otherwise,
every five minutes it's something
else. If not this, than that. So, let's
say two things : I own up to what
I am (which I've just said) and I'm 
not really proud of it. Insignificant, cold, 
steely aloofness isn't really that cool. 
Everything else surprises me. Death? I
want to just say, let's get it going, and
not dwell. My love for my fellows
expands in each direction: really
good-hearted and tender-soul stuff.
I wish I could have a one-on-one 
with each. It's painful to own up
to what  am. 
-
There's an ever-changing franchise
of things always going on. Not much
of it do I like, or even understand.
I kind of reach out for consistency,
at least on the simple matters  -  water
that should be clear, not murky.
I remember one time, in midtown
Manhattan, by the Haeir Building,
I was walking along with some girl.
She was just a few years younger
then me, kind of a reprobate, in
fact, en exceedingly crummy one.
A high-school teacher who,
believe this, in some thirty years
of teaching, had had two different
children with two different
high-school boys. Today, I'd
most imagine, she'd be locked-up
for sure; pilloried, insulted, and
probably have a forced hysterectomy
or something (I think that's an
old word, and I'm not even sure
it's done any more. I'm just talking).
Or, maybe she'd be a tabloid, scandal
millionairess. Anyway, right along
there, by the building, they were
busy constructing a huge, ground-floor
fancy-ass place (no pun). A Victoria's
Secret flagship store, actually  - so
they had these flashy underwear
ads, with thin, hot babes, in all
the windows. I said, 'Victoria's
real secret was that she didn't wear
any.' My joke. Our talk turned to
that, however it  went, and we
reached a point of my saying
something like  -  'Do you even
wear stuff like that? Why? What
do you wear?' It was just babble,
and she replied, 'Yes, sometimes,
but it depends on whether it's going
to be seen, or not.' I replied, 'Huh?'
She said, 'You know, what kind
of date is it; if it's not going to be
seen I just wear anything I have;
but if there's a good chance it
is, yes, I wear things like that
- it's difficult and uncomfortable
to me though, because I have a
very large, wide back, and that's
stuff's all made for skinny-boned
girls.' Again, I just  wanted to
babble a 'Huh?' The point I want
to make is how different and
involved all this gets, and I don't
wish to be involved. At the time,
I pretended it was ordinary, talk,
and that it hadn't flustered me at
all. But actually it had. I think
I'd have a different reaction today.
It's taken a lot of years for me to
become 'flip' enough to just say
what I mean to say. Like  -  'Oh,
so who are you, Lola Falana, but
always on her back, or what?'
My way of saying, 'what the hell
is wrong with you?' All these
years of hell, my own life has had
me whipped and battered mostly
afraid to just blurt out what's on
my mind. Getting old has freed
me of some of that. I often now
sit around thinking about the old
men I've seen over the years  -  the
gruff, frankly brutal ones who've
always said just what's on their
mind. That's what I want to be.
-
It gets me mad, all these shifting
lines of uncertainty. I spent a large
portion of my early life under the
thumb  -  of parents, seminary
tyrants/guardians, doctors and
teachers too. It took me 50 years
to realize it was all just bunk; that
they didn't know a thing worthwhile,
and were just repeating the same
twaddle that had chained them. Now,
all of a sudden this wicked Pope is
around, and the other day he says
Hell doesn't exist. Oh, just a minor
Papal detail....I think this guy must
have fallen off the Infallible Express
as it was leaving Rome. Something
stinks in Denmark. The smoldering
fires and ashes of the Inquisition
aren't even out yet and now the third
in a new series of bizarre Popes is
monkeying with Hell as a concept.
If you walk past or into St. Patrick's
Cathedral, or any Catholic Church,
for that matter, what you're going to
see is ordinary people who've believed
in all this stuff for years, and called it
religion. The light in their brains
hasn't yet gone on. Too bad. 'Sinners
who die without achieving eternal
salvation are not punished,' the
Pope said, in an interview with
Italian journalist Eugenio Scalfari.
'There is no Hell; there is the
disappearance of sinful souls.'
What's that, I wonder? And whatever
a 'disappearing soul' is, where does
it disappear to? Some celestial
Rahway Prison waiting room?
-
It's the equivalent of me suddenly
saying I'm no longer sorry for the
mess of books and papers I leave
around : Because it's just as stupid,
and because it has no equivalency
in any terms. The meager dispensation
of my short years on this earth was
always presented to me as duties and
details, troubles and woes, things to
abide by and watch out for. A
veritable AT&T of the brain, by
and with which I was supposed to
watch every item, dot every I, and
leave certain matters completely
alone. Edicts and lists of things.
In the seminary, the same rigmarole
was always underway, except with
whippings  -  large rosary beads,
belts and hammers too. For what?
For rules and edicts and lists of
things. too much crap to put on
any platter  -  and I don't even eat
crap, being a vegetarian. [Editor:
file under 'comic relief' in index].
so...whether you've got a broad back,
or whether you chant Gregorian,
like the Pope, in the shower, please
make it consistent. I'm so sick of
running and having things running
me down. One thing I noticed today
(It was Easter today) was that up
in the Woodstock Hills, with all
those quaint little old-America
steeple churches dotting all the
hillsides and villages  -  place no
one goes to anymore  -  there were,
at best, 9 people I saw all day
doing anything having to do with
'Easter' it all. I really don't think
the old, American 'country notices
these faux-country holidays. Not
until I'd driven back here, in to
very hear of the central beast of
NJ, did I see the swarms and the
police-protected honoraries. All
running back and forth to their
sanctimonious churches of choice
to greet the newly risen assemblage
of their faith. 'Imagine there's no
Heaven, it isn't hard to do...No Hell
below, above us only blue.'
-
Have you ever wondered why country
folk would have less of a need of the
visible markings of tending to their
God? Why only these suburban
festivalalities of roads, cops, crossing
guards, shopping plazas in the
gross suburbs would be the ones 
to care? It's because country people
live with God, it's all amongst them.
In the suburbs it's so bad that all that
has to be made up to over-compensate 
for the dreary loss of their senses of
place and being. They have broad 
backs, these suburban folks, broad
from lugging all that crap around.




No comments: