Monday, April 9, 2018

10,713. RUDIMENTS, pt. 280

RUDIMENTS, pt. 280
Making Cars
Mostly I didn't care about
anything. Try telling that to
someone, however, whose job
it is to grant approval, to you,
for admission to one thing or
another, or  -  instead  -  to
reject you for not meeting
standards. That goes for the
usual  -  jobs, schools, grants,
and undertakings of whatever
nature. I used to go around
saying (another 'pet phrase'
episode) this string of words:
'The world is vast-arrayed
against out possibilities.' Well,
to begin with, as an adverb it
perhaps should be 'vastly' arrayed,
but I figured that by putting the
hyphen there I made it distinctly
my own combination word. So,
the premise inherent is that no
matter what intentions you
yourself may have the difficulties
which always arise will be
because the situation itself
harbors them, and against you.
So, good luck with that.
-
My trick was just to never stop.
And I didn't  -  right to the present
day my life is made of of nothing,
and believe me when I say 'nothing'
but what I myself sit here and do.
Point of fact is, I've kind of given
up on any further useful endeavors
by the judged standards of others.
I just do what I do, and there it be.
Soon enough it's all gone for me.
-
I'm a rugged soul, but a sorrowful
bastard too : I look up at the starry,
deep-night sky, when I can anyway,
and know that I'm from there but
that's not the place  -  because it's
not a place. It's a state. All that
primitive darkness is just
primitive darkness, trying to
talk back, inside-out of me, to
the pre-historic forebears who
also had confronted that same
deep sky with incomprehension.
Whether the same sort of
incomprehension or not I don't
know. It's said  -  and I guess
I understand that too  -  that
an ancient part of our brain is
still instinctively attuned to the
inspirational allure of the night
sky. That could be, but you have
to watch Science carefully too;
It, and its scientists, are as full
of crap sometimes as are most
others, and they make things up,
until later when they do suddenly
decide to disprove that and come up
with some other 'temporary' fact.
A weird game of cosmic leap-frog
ensues, but the time-frames involved
are pretty long, by our human 
standards, I mean, not cosmic or 
historic standards  -  like 40 years or
so  -  which just means that by that
time the original guy who's had
his (or her) idea dis-proved is
dead anyway and nothing's any
worse for wear. As an example of
'bogusosity,' I well remember
being told, 6th grade and all, that
the reason the body 'jumps' or
snaps to attention, say, when you
dream of falling out of a tree or
stumbling or whatever, is because,
millennia ago, as a primitive human,
you and I lived and slept in trees,
and waking up just before toppling
off the limb or branch was an
inbred, life-saving reaction to
prevent the sleeping person
from falling out of the tree.
Yeah, sure. I didn't believe it
then, and I don't believe it now.
-
In a way, one way alone, the
ancients were stuck, as we are not.
We're stuck, in actuality, as they
never were. However, and at the
same time, for us things now have
been constructed so that much of
that old 'mystery' which  -  by the
current story-lines of Science
anyway  - held them in thrall
is over. WE, as modern-class
people, have removed our
sensory blinders  -  we like to
think -  in ways that have let
us envision constructs of
phenomena beyond their (old)
reach. (Again, none of this is
true but as Science tells us it is):
atomic nuclei and stellar infernos.
Now we claim to hold designs
on the building blocks of matter,
the time/space framework, the
make-up of things. Concepts
presented get explanations created.
I guess the ancients never had that,
even though it's all the same  -  they
made Gods and thunder, we make
telephones and video-games  -
even though all that much of this
is is the construction by words
of an alternate world. Which we
now readily accept  -  but disallow
the acceptance of facts whereby
the ancients traveled through 
space, altered matter and Being 
at will, constructed pyramids 
and other massive stoneworks, 
distorted matter, time-transported 
and spoke with Gods on land.
There are, after all, certain things,
now, which our present world-views
simply won't allow.
Oh well.
-
Back in the seminary, no one 
ever mentioned 'temporal limits' 
except as they referred to maybe
angels and angel-wings flying into
some Miss Mary's bedroom window
to tell her she'd just conceived.
With and by God, and without so 
much as a smidgen of the pleasure
principle involved. I used to wonder
why that was. Wouldn't instead
having 'sexual congress' (whoever
dreamt that phrase up) with God
set off some fireworks and major
waves of joy? Who left that out?
As far as I could tell, Mary was
always about as miserable as my
mother, on  a good day. And Joseph?
Jesus he was as clueless (no 
pun) as they come. Anyway,
wherever I went I always felt
somehow a small child of some
big God in a crazy, mystical
universe  -  without a key and
without meaning too. As a kid,
the day I used to dread the most
was, like, the day after a holiday.
Say, Christmas, the next day,
whatever it was, when  - at least
in my house  -  it seemed like 
we'd always go to visit the least
desirable of visiting-places :
A really boring relative, some
friend of my father's, really
boring, some crazy, wasteful,
long-afternoon of deadness over
some leftover Christmas junk.
That was for the most part
what the rest of live was like :
not so much my own kid-life, 
which I controlled, with a 
bicycle and a pen-knife (no
one lorded over me) but I
mean the rest of life. All that
crummy, coveted stuff  -  dress
up church days, feasts of this
and that, school crud, listening
to the parents wrangle over
some hazy future nothing.
Man, I just wanted to scream.
Talk about primitive man looking
up at the mysterious stars, I was
looking under every pillow and
stone for some sort of transporter
or rocket ship to get me the
blankety-blank (kid's version)
out of here. Oh, Mama, 
you don't know. Some
wise-ass uncle or know-it-all
adult, family-friend, would 
throw his collection of, say,
Sherlock Holmes books my way
and invite me to start reading the
series. On him! 'Oh, you'll see,
follow the clues, the answers are
always there. He was a crafty man,
that Sherlock Holmes.'  Yeah,
sure, and my pea-shooter 
wouldn't  take your eye out.'


No comments: