Saturday, April 28, 2018

10,771. TORN-OPEN TRAINS

TORN-OPEN TRAINS
It's a cut and dry case, text-book
like certainty  -  solid as a rock.
The idea that metal bests flesh,
as I think it always does. No
raiment like this does the King
wear; that ermine is dipped in
blood. Ruby-red maybe, but
more like blue.
-
Once, long ago I found myself
volunteering for something,
and yes, much like a fool. So I
backed off, and retreated, then
changing my mind in  a most
indecorous way. No one was
pleased at all.
-
I took exile with ease  -  cunning
with guile, and all quite easily
done. Only later, when I realized
the march of time had caught me
up, did I see they'd laid down train
tracks all along the river's way.
-
Surprised. Even awed, it dawned
on me that something new had
happened. All the owners of those
manor'd estates had freely given
up land? Robber-barons, weren't
they called? There had to be
something more.
-
Did anyone even see this coming?
How money runs to money, in all
the ways it can. Washington Irving,
Rip Van Winkle, Sunnyside, and
Tarrytown too. The trains can bare
the river's flow, cutting simply
where they wish to go.


No comments: