Wednesday, April 11, 2018

10,721. RUDIMENTS, pt. 282

RUDIMENTS, pt. 282
Making Cars
I never knew what to extol -
everyone was always 'extolling'
something or someone. It all
sounded like junk to me. Once
I got to NYC, I'd see all these
downtown guys with briefcases
pushing this or that new stock
or advancing some new issue,
valuing some supposed breakthrough
by which investors  -  if in quickly  -
could make grand returns. It took
me about two weeks to realize
that the entire stock market thing
was a huge trading game. Just
like down on lower Broadway
where you'd see tabletop card
game, 3-card-monte guys plying
their trade to the unwitting. There'd
be a shill of some sort out front
along the curb trying to pull some
nitwits in, and then there'd be a
dummy character too (one of the
insiders) playing this (fake) game
and winning some couple of times,
demonstratively getting the purse.
It was all fake  -  the rube who
watched this and then jumped in
himself didn't stand a chance.
He'd fallen for the fake game
with a fake winner. People fell
for this all the time  -  one time
I watched some half-retarded guy,
whatever that partially dumb/partially
stumbling oversized-person disease
thing is. With the overly-sized facial
 features and the big, thick hands. They 
stand out, and usually have others
walking them or with them. Guides 
from the home or whatever. For this
episode, it was Christmas time, the
crowds were out, he was walking
around with a fist-full of money,
poor schmuck, probably eighty or
a hundred bucks, and he got started.
Losing. Aghast. Going for more.
Losing more. Never winning, and
finally cleaned out, he snapped. A
real roar, and a sorrowful No! of
fear and anguish over, I guessed,
just having lost his little fistful of
Christmas shopping money out on
the raw streets of the big, bad town.
I really felt bad for the guy, but
was not about to make it my 
problem. The scene became soon
disgruntled enough that the guys
folded up their tables and quickly
walked off.
-
The stock market itself wasn't 
really that different. Probably 
shills, some winners, fake or not, 
and lots of unwary losers  - the 
supply of which always needed 
replenishing. I never knew the
end result of any of it, except 
that the only ones really sure to
be making money were the
dealers  - the stock guys pushing
for the buys and sells  -  You get
charged when you buy, yeah,
and then they charge again where
you sell. Your panic one way or the
other results in a fistful of continual
dollars for them, whichever way.
In 1967, everything was still
primitive  -  today there's a lot 
more, hands-on, do-it yourself-
from-home e-trading going on 
and much of it is now way down
to seven dollars a trade or so. Janney, 
Montgomery, and Scott, an old-line
trading firm back then, was like 
sixty-five dollars a trade. It was
called 'Commission.' 
-
So, to 'extol' the bad, it appeared,
was just as valid as extolling the 
good. Values and things were a 
lot different then, and surely 
screwed up too. Just as today's 
'values'  -  debased, sick, perverted, 
mis-used and gross  -  are mostly
considered good. Somewhere in
between those decades things got
sky-high screwed up. The normal
run of things back then was that 
men held a job, went to work, came
home in the evening, to the dinner
or whatever a wife had cooked.
House, home, family, etc. All
things ran a fairly rigorously
made route. At first glance anyway.
Behind the scenes, always, all
sorts of things were happening. I'd
learned that long before  -  at the
seminary. Seeing parents come in,
in family units  -  kids having sisters
and brothers at home. I could just
tell some of the Dad's were a little
off-center, maybe things were a 
tad warped. It never mattered to 
me much because mostly I just 
enjoyed seeing the sisters. I was,
say 12-16, and every now and
then someone would have a sister
visiting who was a complete dream,
at 15 or 17. The sisters' ages I
never knew, of course, but there
was this feeling that came through.
In my mind, I'd often 'extol'any
one of these after-images for a
long time.
-
My life itself bore little resemblance 
to anything I'd read before. At age
14, with my first read of 'Portrait of
the Artist As a Young Man,' I saw
that James Joyce had made the very
best effort of it all I'd ever seen, or
need to see  -  but, with the modern
world pressing all around me, that 
one just seemed a little to weak, too
pious, and too Irish too. But, as I read
it I knew I had it within me to out-do
it too, to put forth my own version
of some of that same material. The
presented feelings were the same,
the school-chums, the kids and the
environment, yet it still was somehow
broken off from the more modern 
days of the 'now.' I didn't care.
I knew that it was in me, somewhere,
to write my own versions of this 
sort of thing. I'm still trying.
-
Once I'd set out to do things, my way,
I stayed that course. I liked angles and
twists and turns. I like writing about the
unexpected  -  but not like mystery tomes
or suspense novels, I mean rather the
sort of unexpected psychological things 
and connections that tie everything up 
with something else. I felt that, before
we each get started, it's all played out
for us. We're just walking, as it were,
in those snow-ghost footprints already
out in front of us. I believed that for 
each one of us there's some quizzical
'number' that we reach  -  by some
 combination of things arrayed for
our experiencing, a 'totality' of some 
sort  -  and once we reach that ideal
quotient, we're done. We die. And
it begins anew as we then undertake
the answer for the next equation to
be presented. Which is addressed 
and experienced by ALL of those
accumulating (always) things that
we think and do and implement and
undertake through a multiplicity of
concurrent lifetimes (ALL at once).
Everyone calls it something different :
religion, karma, salvation, destiny
and fate. But call it what you will,
there it is, to be extolled within you.





No comments: