Saturday, April 21, 2018

10,754. RUDIMENTS, pt. 292

RUDIMENTS, pt. 292
Making Cars
The only certainty left  - and it's
a large certainty, is death. But
before that, along the entryway
to something, stand recollection
and memory. When someone calls
it 'nostalgia,' which happens now
and then, I want to gently disagree.
I consider 'nostalgia' to be a
recollection with desire for that
recollection to be back. I'm not
there at all. I really wouldn't
wish to return to anything past - 
all this life is just too much of
a rigorous turning. What  I can't
figure out is a balance or a value
system for why all this must occur,
and run through and past us, and
then just go away, peter out,
sicken or slow down, and die.
Something's wrong and that can't 
be right.  I have many difficulties.
-
When I was a kid, at St. Andrew's,
the priests there that I knew were
fairly vapid about everything. It
was like an Avenel trait almost, to
be goofy and react to most everything
with some weird form of joyful
pleasure  -  like the local idiot
politicians here do today. It's a
form of turning the attention away
from anything of substance. Old St.
Andrew's had a fine, country-style
church, right in the middle of what
little passed for a town. Trees, grass,
curbs and a real nice atmosphere. It
at least made you WANT to pray for
something good and positive. It sort
of echoed the things they were trying
to teach us in school and church  - those
smaller, American-style local virtues.
What then do they go and do? Tear it
down and destroy any vestige of it,
while erecting in its place, using a
completely different geographic
angle for it, facing kind of east/west
instead of north /south as it had, 
a larger, new, 'church.' The new
configuration, whatever its reason,
(perhaps some odd form of Vatican
feng-shui) threw everything off and
made no sense. Besides the fact that it
was ugly, plain and boring, AND
surrounded by an acre or two of
macadam. It was a travesty. Yet no
one faced it off, none of those priests
ever even issued the words of it as
perhaps being a controversy or an
issue. The big deal, instead, was
the newness, the prosperity, the
growth. What that had to do with
anything, I never understood  - 
and it certainly had nothing at
all to do with the essence and
feeling of the 'religion' supposedly
imparted. It was soulless and
barren. Yet, it was all part and
parcel of the sort of thinking
which was slowly taking over.
As I said, at no level was there
any deep-talk, sense, or meaning
about anything imparted. I never
understood what they thought they
were doing. It was a medievalism
with just the pomp, and no Black
Death. There were better times
at the Woodbridge Drive-In.
-
When a gestalt or whatever begins
to change, it's a gradual affair as the
society around it begins to adapt
and take new form. Meanings and
approaches change. But, here,
nothing really happened. The
conservative aspects remained
conservative, while the breakaway
and the leading-factions, the
ecumenicals and the council
followers, made their moves.
Everything lost shape and
everything lost sense.
-
Some family I knew  -  I actually
forget the last name now, but it
may been the LaHoda family,
they died, in Ideal Trailer park,
from an asphyxiation in their trailer.
Two parents and two boys, carbon
monoxide of some sort, though I
forget what was faulty. But anyway
it was a quick, flared-up scandal,
horror. Sad for an hour and then
everyone forgot about it. But how
do you figure for things like that?
It was extremely weird to be in
school or catechism class, I
forget which it was, and find 
out the news. They were just gone.
I remember sitting on the little
wooden bleachers they had in the
old, de-commissioned St. Andrew's,
before it was torn down, and we 
were using it once or twice a 
week for one or another of those
silly after-school religion by 
memorization things they run,
a complete waste by the way,
and noticing the vacancy where
he used to sit. I guess that's when
it really hit me  -  that there were
things to face up to; that instances
happened, and were going to 
continue to happen in this same 
manner, for the remainder of 
my life. It somehow all seemed
OK then, even if it was horrid,
because I envisioned nothing but
all that long expanse of my life,
stretched out before me. Now
that's all gone. It's over. 
I'm finished.
-
Whatever one wishes to make out of 
that, it's fundamentally the same
for each of us. I have to admit, I'm
sad and sorry, and I wear this
collar only lugubriously. There
are things around me that's
I'll continue to hold until I die,
and people and memories too. What 
else can I do? As I live and breath,
everything else has been taken from
me  -  and by scoundrels. What's
left is someone else's really poor
version of what once may have been
ordinary, everyday, life.  No
longer : it's  now a bad medley, sung
out of tune, and by people who
can't really sing at all.

No comments: