Sunday, April 1, 2018

10,684. RUDIMENTS, pt. 272

RUDIMENTS, pt. 272
Making Cars
So I said I walked and I did.
Right now I'm some 130 miles
away, walking some graveyard
woods. Levon Helm is here,
dead beside me. Rick Danko
too, a few rows off. Ain't that
peculiar, and I'm shakin' the
dust  -   that is, ashes to ashes,
dust to dust, all others pay cash,
'cause in God we trust. Gone,
down, dead and over, everything
goes away  -  like the Maple Tree,
and Snooky's, and Hank's and
Flip's, and the Roxbury and the
Hillcrest too. All over now, Baby
Blue. OK, got that done  - I did
just want to wash the 'Tree' dust
off me. That was some shaking
ten days  -  putting up those
episodes every day, walking
like a Bluebeard skeleton down
memory lane, things I shouldn't
do and things that never changed.
Now here. Here. I'm in Woodstock.
It's a much better place. The streets
still hold candles. Not like Avenel,
which rapes. I'm free like a flat-top,
hep-cat, Roto-Rooter in the space of
my own cleared out dreams. Plochman
Lane, Streibel Road, Tinker Street,
Rick City Road, Still Road, Parnassus
Lane, John Joy Road and Zena Road
too. I'll tell you what I'll do  -  I'll
bring some pictures, from the zoo.
-
I find it nice to be real, to be alive,
to strip the needle skin vibe off some
part of me ridden and creepy with
bugs and snakes. Sometimes, in order
to do that, I just have to flee. Me.
-
Even here, though there's a lot fewer,
the damned American flag still flies.
What is it with people and flags?
I can see the library or the cop shop,
some of the stores begging for dollars.
But that should be it. Long may you
wave, and all that. I'm tired of patriotic
gore. (Edmund Wilson wrote that).
-
Three and a quarter for coffee. But at
least I get a seat and people are passing
me by. Thy still exist, those rich and
famous, those catalogues without a
home. People nod and smile. I have
to ask them not to get carried away.
My clothes are three days old, my hat's
unwashed, and with me is my mangy
dog. Not really. It's all on me, the dog's
a simple gift of joy. Dogs never see
the bottom of the bowl  -  they just
see the food, and make their judgments
based on that. Tomorrow is April Fool's.
Have I got a trick for you!
-
I like Woodstock, It's a barrel of a burgh,
with really, or seemingly, little care for
the rest of the world, or for any of that
stuff the media-world tries to pin on
it : leftover hippie kingdom, folkie
free-love capital, anarchic, crazed
lefty burgh. All that junk's over, this
place just is. It lazes in another time.
These haunted rounded mountains
look down, flavoring the old wood and
the old buildings  - where things still
creak and sag. Strange old photos
are in windows. Nobody ever looked
like a space man here anyway  -  not
Todd Rundgren, not Richie Havens.
None of those 1960's characters did
much except put, on automatic,
their own spin on a dark, weird,
(old) American place. There's truly
something in these hills and in the air
  -  whatever it may be, the ancients,
aliens and extra-terrestrials, native
stuff. Ohayo Mountain, Overlook
MountaIn, they're just not 'there.'
They have a reason and a bold
natural consciousness of their own.
Ghosts and glimmers, the dimensional
past  -  you have to remember things
were never the way we've been told.
That's all fantasy, woven around
the dreams of those who want it to
'be' that way  -  for their own gain.
Profitable for them, and we have to
remember as well that 'profit' doesn't
always just mean money. A lot of
this old-time Catskill stuff, in the
last 160 years anyway was/is Jewish.
The search for lucre remains paramount
to that contingent, though it's not at
all what I'm talking about. Money is
so simple its silky. But it's junk.
They thrive on it nonetheless and
make hoary old tribal stories out
of it. To advance their remonstrances
of atonements and deliverances.
Those stories are always present.
But they're short-lived, in cosmic
terms. Hard to explain. Time,
life and being are nothing until
they're slowed down enough to
become objects. To become
'mass.' That's what 'E=MC squared'
is all about. These mountains slow
things sown enough so you can feel
the past, yet the energy around the
place is still fast. A cosmic quandary.
-
Up some of these roads, you go
sideways right into another aspect
of being. Here it still slithers around.
The meaning of 'wood'  -  like the
most basic Eric Sloane concept  - 
still lingers about. There are homes
here, lush and sloppy, on some of
the back ridges with cut, burnable
lumber piled high enough for 2
seasons yet coming. The simplicity
of what I see is amazing. Open
fires, and people sitting about. It's
very communal yet separate, and
separately communal only at one
level. Heck, even the dog park
here is woods. Every other one
I've ever been near where I live
is a bare, naked, bad-field of
grass, either toxic or dangerous,
from some other use. Dogs being
expendable, I suppose, in municipal
thinking, even more than people.
Here, you sit in the woods, 30
tall trees and 8 or so dogs while
talk thoughtfully. History here
wears a double-sleeve; one for
now and one for then.
-
So, I guess I went crazy, crazy
enough to have at least been
someone who turned on the
force of my own dreaming.
I turned numerous times and I
track the course of those stars
on the inside track of my own
head. 'I got to go grow up here
before I had a GPS in my pocket.
I was born in 1976 in a dilapidated
house on the creek. My father
got out of Queens and went to
Woodstock in '69. My folks were
more just country folk hippies, 
as opposed to the kind trying
to change the world. From the
earliest time I was always hearing
all that stuff  -  Dylan, Hendrix,
The Band, Van Morrison. Yeah,
you can feel it, you're right.
There's a mystical quality to
these hills. People still come 
up here for the same reasons  -  
for the quiet, for the nature, as
well as the proximity to New
York City and the belly of the
beast. You can get out into the
woods here and feel the Pre-
Columbian vibrations. Once
you tap into it, it's pretty
amazing. I still get-teary-eyed
coming home. I have friends
who don't even know what time
IS, spiritually OR metaphorically.
Overlook Mountain, yeah; the
smoky evening smells of Fall
coming through the car windows.
Others say every Summer they get
the urge to come back, a longing to
be in Woodsock  -  beautiful and
mysterious and, green; a green
that doesn't exist anywhere else.
Woodstock is like a Venus flytrap;
whether you get stuck in it or not
depends on whether your vibration 
is in harmony with it. It's like they 
say there are vortices in Sedona
or Nepal, certain spiritual places,
and I would say Woodstock is
most certainly that.' I was talking 
to three guys in the town's center
square; there were a few dogs and
people around, mine as well. We
didn't 'do' anything, just were.
This sort of composite and 
imaginary monologue is part 
of all that; but they didn't fit, 
actually, they were just too modern.
I don't 'think' they really knew what
they are talking about, probably just
using stuff they'd heard. Modern 
people neither talk or think this way.
The awarenesses are too different.
That old human-selfhood is gone.
'It's got a way here of down-shifting
you from high gears into neutral; no
coincidence that it's a strange attractor
for the Tibetans and the zen people.
Buddhists have a word for that neutral.
They call it 'the Void.' There's more
to this town than just being a cute
little town in the mountains. Funny
things happen here; people get
changed up. It's the place, the creeks
and the winding roads and the rocks,
and the pitch-black nights. But that's 
all on the inside  -  it's the mountans
of the mind. It's, maybe too, like
backwards, like this : We're not
just up here in the woods; New 
York City is an industrial suburb of
Woodstock. Places like Key West,
Sedona, and Taos, they're what 
they are because of where they 
are; don't you see? It's an extra-
ordinary place; cold, sometimes 
real cold, and hot too.'
-
You can see the photo for a glimmer
of all this : careerist malcontents but
not that really. They shine too in
all their dull glitter.








No comments: