Friday, April 13, 2018

10,727. RUDIMENTS, pt. 284

RUDIMENTS, pt. 284
Making Cars
Everywhere we go we are part
of something  -  or so it seems.
And that's some weird stuff.
Back in Elmira, when I was
mixed up a little with that
Seth Group stuff, one of the
points Jane made coming
through was how we each
'select' our historical group
to come thorough (each) life
with. On paper it makes no
sense at all  -  but in the
rational sense none of that
stuff would anyway so it
doesn't really matter. And
that's beside the point. At
some level it had to be crap, 
but I can see it having some
validity too. But, like back 
to all those childhood chums  - 
that's a 'group' somehow I 
chose to come through life 
with? I haven't seen 1/25th 
of them  since age 15, so 
what's that mean? After I 
came back from the seminary 
everyone I did meet was just 
a finish-school pain-in-the-butt. 
And the same  goes for the 
seminary guys  -  I knew them 
all, they were  my 'group.' 
But then I lost  all track of 
them too. And, here in late 
life, there are lots of people
here and there I 'know' but 
don't much distinguish between 
except maybe for 10 or 20 
who've withstood the present 
with me. We clutch. But is that 
my 'group?' The word was, as 
well, that we select our 'parents' 
and  'family groups' too, so as 
to experience and go-through the
fulfillment with some life-lesson 
thing that we still owe on. Beats
the hell out of me, all that. Just
another example of how I don't 
often understand things. I probably 
understand my dog better. And 
they have crummy, short lives 
compared to my memories and
expectations and hopes. At some 
point, anyway, it all gets interrupted 
when you become sex-crazed 
in late teens or whatever and 
just want to spend the next ten 
years searching out the right stuff. 
Is that then a 'group?' Nothing 
makes any sense.
-
Like rounding second at the 
portables, in that baseball-game 
from yesterday, the person I'm 
about to run down to reach the 
bag and not get tagged out  -  
he's some poor sucker I somehow 
selected to run through life with at 
some arm's length connection? 
And I'm about to cleat him in the
gravel-rubble face just to get a bag?
And then we're still in the same 
heap in an afterlife? To compare 
notes on how we did? See, I just 
don't get it. Male and female, 
then, another thing was, is all
immaterial because after this
life we all go back to oneness.
That too is tough, because there's 
certainly a friend or two around 
here I sure would hope would 
remain female, for the ostensible 
purposes of afterlife happiness. 
Get it. I'm lost.
-
In the middle of all this, how 
was I supposed to meddle with 
anything else, get through this crazy 
life? New York City was like an 
inbred cat-farm, there were people 
all over  :  everyone was curious and 
unique. I was stunned and agape 
like some religious fervor guy at 
a huge revival tent. 'Brother Love's
Travelin' Salvation Show,' as Neil
Diamond had put it. All I ever 
wanted to do was learn the story 
behind everything I saw  -  the place, 
the person, the year, the day, the 
times of old. And I did. I crafted 
a bizarre life just earning everything. 
One time my father asked me, 
'Who do you look up to? Who are 
the important figures in your life?'
I guess he was hoping I'd say he
was, or blurt out his name in a 
list for 4 or 5 names. Poor fellow.
I stupidly said, 'All the best ones
are dead.' How does someone top
their own stupidity?
-
If that  -  my father, my family, my
kin  -  was part of a selected group,
how and why did it get so crossed up?
I related to no one and no thing. If
I was part of something it was a
onenss-of-self. I see now stuff like
that is called 'solipsism.' So be it.
Look, the way I figured it everyone
has a story, everyone comes out of
something, heads somewhere, closes
up shop, and leaves behind a name.
If there's any group identity there,
I'd like to know about it. All the
crusaders and diatribe people I
ever saw in NYC were always
rounding other people up for their
cause, to come along, add numbers 
and voice, to change things. You
know how distasteful that is? You
find yourself hoo-hah'ing next to
some pimple-faced ground-squash 
from Long Island who wants free
library cards for life, just like in
Sweden.  ('Dude, already got that 
one figured out.'). Or some bra-burner
from Ozone Park screeching about
human-rights-equality and not
knowing the first thing of which 
she speaks. Yeah, sure, come on
board, this is my 1967 wagon-train.
I'm not happy. I'm not sad. I'm 
not angry. I don't care. I read 
that on the back of a cereal box
one day when I was twelve. The
cereal's name was 'Life.'

No comments: