Thursday, April 19, 2018

10,748. ABSOLUTE HEARTS

ABSOLUTE HEARTS
I am in love with one hundred
things, drag-race girl. I am taken
with the sky of blue and the sea,
and you. I have walked this coastal
trail just to see the pirate's haunted
house. Now that I have seen it, I 
believe in it as true. The ghost of his
mother was waving at me : that eerie
sound contending with the surf outside,
and my rapidly-beating heart within. 
-
And now there is nothing but
distance and trouble. The man in
the front of the room starts to sing.
Old sea-faring chants the tired sailors
would join, about moonlight on the 
ocean, the drop and then the rise of 
the waters beneath them. To a simple
landsman like me, little sense can
come of any of this.
-
My own life resembles a Popeye, minus
the spinach; here, on land, where nothing
of that sort has ever been developed.
Canned muscle, in a wet, green water.
I am in love with one hundred things,
though such a product is not among them. 
I can imagine, though. I can imagine.

No comments: