Wednesday, April 4, 2018

10,698. LONG IMAGE / GREAT DISTANCE

LONG IMAGE / GREAT DISTANCE
...(for everything else, the torch)...
Like the wind that was howling
and the nose which was fierce,
I am writhing with the sunlight as
it ripens the horizon  -  long image,
great distance.
-
These are not meaningless moments,
though I hedge for any great importance.
I am stuck on earth and sullied by its
disrepute  -  yet now it is my place and I
must stay and my works must stay and all
that I will do is for it alone. Its people,
marred now by both indifference and
indiscretion, matter little.
-
The great thought must live.
The raging indifference must disappear.
Its adherents must die; be they slain or
merely withered by some other force.
We can calculate the God-like odds which
persevere, and we can persevere as well.
-
We can preserve the good and the modest.
For everything else  -  the torch.

No comments: