Saturday, February 24, 2018

10,566. AND I'D LIKE TO ADD THIS

AND I'D LIKE TO ADD THIS
I don't have a place in my heart
for leftover sentiments. For haters
or creeps. For those who bend logical
steel in their rugged bare hands. 
Like any Alphonse of old, I stood one
day at the Paterson Falls and cried
for the country we'd lost and sold
-
I wanted to say, as well  -  of the
locomotives and the submarines now
gone from this once-sainted city and
place, from the factory of guns they
once made of for police. The motorcars
grinding and the silk mills on edge.
-
The power of all the churning of the
water-  wheels now running loose but 
on steel rails  -  of only dream and 
remembrance and recollection. Of the
immigrants then and the immigrants
now, who sorted and sort between the
fabrics of desire and the clothes of want.

No comments: