Friday, February 16, 2018

10,531. THE SHORT AND THE LONG OF IT

THE SHORT AND 
THE LONG OF IT
Some days I could be writing for what seems
like hours, and I look to read, and there's
little there. Other times, 10 minutes in, and
it seems I've already got a thousand words
and more. All good and solid, like valuable
ore. Something to mine for some other time.
-
It's as if I'm never alone anyway : a mysterious
cloak drapes its way over me and shuts out
the airless world and I enter a sea. Some new
element where the air is wider and no limits
are set; the sky is pulsing and alive. There are
gorgeous turtles handing me things, mermaids
and crackers and diamonds with rings.
-
The underside of all this is I'm captive and caught.
Nowhere to go but to work and show there. That 
mermaid, on land  -  remember  -  useless, unable 
to go; seeking water but fraught only with air.

No comments: