Sunday, February 18, 2018

10,539. WHEN THE RADISH

WHEN THE RADISH
1 and 2 and 4-0-9. When the
Radish had. Centrifugal. Force.
I stayed surely clear  -  as harsh
away as far could stay. Out on
the fan-seats, in May, the Elmira
College girls were painting the
field house. As. I. Watched.
-
Ernie Davis High School, and
Eldridge Park too. I used to joke
it was short for Eldridge Cleaver Park
and no one. Had. The. Balls. To
attest, y'know. It was 1973 and all.
-
There used to be concrete swans,
and a carousel that ran around. With
large and beautiful painted horses.
It. Even. Had. One of the those
brass ring things. If you were lucky
to get your hand out there in time
and grab. You'd Get The Ring.
-
I had one once, for a few years.
And then it somehow got lost. It
was pretty large around  -  larger
than a silver dollar. For. Sure.
Which is wasn't of course : no
money value at all unless you sell
your vain pride.
-
Yeah, the radish was a ride, on the
Whip  -  each seat in the shape of a
vegetable. Who. Thought. Of. That.
I don't know what a radish is, really.
Vegetable? Here it was a seat, and
with my 5-year old we ran the ride
ragged. It felt pretty fast. But.
I. Got. Bored.
-
Eventually he just kept riding with
some other kids and I could go off.
My whole life was a ride, I figured,
who needed The Whip?


No comments: