Wednesday, February 7, 2018

10,494. RUDIMENTS, pt. 219

RUDIMENTS, pt. 219
Making Cars
Over time  -  and it's been a
long time now  -  I've concluded
one thing. In all walks of life, if
you express or write something
that isn't already the opinion of
the reader who's reading or
hearing it, they'll say you had
no right stating something like
that all. Think about that a
moment. In the old days, long
time back, it used to be just
the tyrant or the ruler or the
dictator who could make
that presumption, and kill
hundreds or thousands
over it. Now, by contrast,
it's anyone, or everyone, or
'Everyman,' as the concept
goes. That's certainly a raw
difference, and I guess we do
tolerate all of that. The social
comity is not made up up the
unity of all that mass-think,
and not so much by the fury
of the dissension. Charles Simic,
the poet, once put it thusly: 'He
who cannot howl will not find
his pack.' So, I howl.
-
When I first got to the seminary,
that was the first I heard of
'Everyman.' Technically entitled
'The Summoning of Everyman'
it was an old morality play, and
when I first arrived that year,
some of the guys in the class
ahead of me were staging it. It
had been written as a play. The
whole idea broadsided me, for 
I'd never, ever, given a thought 
that in the seminary there would 
be an active, over-reaching even, 
theater group contingent. These 
were guys  - a changeable bunch  
-  always staging something, and 
people came to see it all. There 
was a box office, a real stage, 
proscenium, lights, all the high, 
overhead pulleys for scrims
and scenery to drop down. 
They'd be busy painting and 
making their own props and 
settings, hammering and 
sawing, practicing scenes, 
memorizing lines, taping 
the stage for position and
entry and all that  -  marks 
and cues on the floor. It was 
all surprisingly professional, 
and impressive, and all done 
by 16 year olds. I was in, 
immediately captivated. I'd 
never thought about there 
being anything but the usual 
religious drudgery and rites 
and mass and learning and 
the dudding thud into one's 
head of doctrine and prayer,
etc. And that was all there 
too, but this offered a real 
respite. A few hours each 
day, evenings, whatever, it 
was a selected place to go. 
Be; learn, see. There were 
scripts and books, and plays; 
a piano in the alcove, a 
music room, a record player, 
early 1960's, and 1950's jazz 
albums. Coffee on tap. 
Everything 'beat' and hip, 
except for there being no 
girls around  -  which absence 
left a huge gap, yes, (well, 
should I say, for some anyway). 
The rest of it was as easy as 
eating popcorn off a coaster. 
The 'Theater Director' guy 
was some hipster priest in 
from NYC, and he knew 
all the rap, every little bit 
of what to do and what 
went on. Some of it all 
was pretty gay, but that 
didn' really exist yet, and 
I didn't much care  -  it 
had nothing to do with me. 
I was groovin' in my own 
reverie  -  John Coltrane, 
Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, 
all sorts of cool stuff For a 
tiny, little wonderboy like
me, it was miraculous  - 
and forget the church 
stuff, I had my own 
miracle right there. it 
changed my life. At that
point, whatever it was 
13, or 12 going on 13, 
my whole life switched 
gears, made its big turn, 
and I was on my way.
-
When something like that 
happens  to  you, as a young 
kid, you know it immediately.
It's like first love, or getting
swept off your rocker by some
girl you meet  -  completely
consumed, speechless, head 
over heels. I didn't need much
else, and from that point I knew
I was there for the ride and the
free meals. The whole church
thing all around me quickly fell 
apart. On another 2 years, all
that would get me chucked out 
of there anyway, but by then 
I'd lost my way, as they
would have phrased it. Back
then and there,  losing one's
'vocation'  -  or even shirking its
call  -  was a big, nasty deal.
They needed like 300 new priests
a year to keep that rollicking good
spinner spinning, and the new ethos
sweeping the country was killing
all that off real quick. By 1967 (I
was and year and a half gone by 
then) the church was probably
losing priests as quickly as it was
gaining them. Priests started bonking
Nuns, for goodness sake, and even
marrying them. Leaving the church,
going native, living together, sinning
up all gay and stuff  -  all that had
been previously deeply hidden.
There was always a deep, gay
undercurrent to the seminary
anyway  -  most people knew 
it and what was going on. You
just kept your distance and said 
nothing. I knew who the guys 
were, and where they went 
to do their stuff. The rest of it '
was all medieval junk anyway  -
the weird procession, candles,
Latin, prayers, chant (this was
before all that modernization crap
that put everything into English
and guitar and folk music and 
neighborly shakes and kisses 
and all. This was serious, and I
might be complaining but I liked
the medieval stuff way better 
than the new. Any number of
times I'd walk the fields, with
a friend of mine from Maine  -  
Leo Benjamin. He was crazy, fun,
brash, and loud. Leo know, out in
the fields, where the other guys
kept hid, under a pile of old
tree limbs and partially buried, a
pirate's chest, half in the ground,
filled with what passed for, in
1965, girlie magazines. The few
times we sat there, daydreaming
and mesmerized, while he'd tell
me all he knew  -  Maine country
ways  -  that was, really, the only
sex-education courses I'd
ever had. Dumb church.
-
Anyway, it went from Everyman  - 
my first exposure ever to something
really cool, to a few of the Shakespeare
Henry plays  -  war and intrigue stuff.
Once they did a big production of
a large staged version of Twain's 
'Huck Finn'  -  fake river and fake
Nigger Jim too. It was a massive
success, for the players anyway. I
wasn't in that one at all, but just
watched, carefully, as it was developed
and staged and practiced. It was the
first place I met another friend there
too, Kirk, who had the Huck Finn
lead. For that half-year, man he was
everybody's darlin'  -  really 
something to see.

No comments: