Friday, February 9, 2018

10,500. THE METAL OF ALEXANDRIA

THE METAL OF ALEXANDRIA
In the ancient library I walk, the
walls themselves made stony
solid in a force of dare, and I 
too am taken by flames. I die
in that conflagration, and am
never heard from again.
-
There is a place in my heart,
always, for harsh things too,
though I keep all that quite
separate. In quiet, I absorb
the work, as if walking in on
another, one doing lists and 
columns, totals and figures,
lines, and sums. Not words.
-
How is any of that kept separate?
We juggle multi-worlds, it seems.
The sweater, or the jacket, or the
coat; one at a time will have to do.
By choice. Not by rhyme. Yet
only those are with words.
-
The metal of Alexandria  -  whichever
it may have been  -  never fell, never
melted, never burned. It is still there;
hardened now, as words, and letters,
and words, and letters.

No comments: