Saturday, February 10, 2018

10,507. I THINK I HEAR

I THINK I HEAR
If those leaves keep being blown
around, I'll know I'll keep hearing 
that sound. It's a difficult sound to
describe, really  -  almost metallic,
but with a scraping scrunch as well.
-
All I've realized, of late, is how
my own life has been wasted away.
It dawns on me now how all I've
ever really feared was disapproval.
Or punishment, too. A strait-jacket
tightness has always been around me.
-
What caused that, and how'd I let it?
A monumental question for one single
man, but they sure had me bested all
these years. Almost frozen in place,
much of my discontent has been of
the exactitude of not making a move.
-
'Step out of line, the man come and
take you away.' When I first heard 
that, whenever it was, 1969, I knew
immediately what it was meaning to
say, but I was too frightened to react.
-
Or to show it. Can you imagine that?
A miserable rock-lyric holding my 
own brain in chains? The goaded and
driven fear of ice in the veins. What
a miserable life this has been.

No comments: