Tuesday, February 20, 2018

10,551, RUDIMENTS, pt. 232

RUDIMENTS, pt. 232
Making Cars
I never had an alias, presumed name,
nom de guerre, or any of that stuff.
That was all more like wartime and
the self-importance given to 'will'
oneself over to someplace where you
wished to be or be seen as. I was
always more or less just class-B
junk, and OK with being that. It
took the pressure off. I used to
have to listen to the otherwise
miserable takes and stories of all
the high-achievers  -  which also
somehow got to include (by his
invasive and false self-inclusion)
my crazy friend Fred : early entry
into Harvard, high-attainment on
this or that test, connections to
elevated-status people who'd clear
the way. It was all frivolous and
all BS too. He ended up with his
story line of being in Boston Univ.,
or as he colloquially referred to it
as 'B.U.', where the elite hung out.
I ended up not knowing anything
real about it, because it was all
bunk. Even his crime stories and
supposed sting in Rahway Prison
I ended up doubting. His mother
used to beg me to watch out for
him. We lost each other somewhere
along the line, and that entire
family ended up in Las Vegas.
They're all dead now, except for
Fred. I guess he's OK.
-
I knew any number of Biker guys
who really did do the prison scene.
Ugly stuff  -  the crimes that did
them in involved everything  -  drugs,
murder, high-speed, organized crime,
interstate transport, trafficking, etc.
Biker club stuff and they didn't care;
they had fronts for lots of things  -
van delivery companies, go-go bars,
girls, (and then later, the go-go bars
were elevated into 'Gentleman's Clubs.'
Which meant supposedly an entry fee
at the door (private club, allows for
more), totally nudity of thee girls and
hostesses, varied arrays of back-room
shenanigans  -  again for pay  -  and
(also supposedly) NO alcohol. The state
somehow makes the (to them, logical,
I guess) conclusion that sexual
exploitation WITH alcohol is OK if
the girls are scantily clad, (that's a
go-go bar), but if the girls are
completely disrobed , instead of
g-strings and bras (right, yeah),
AND an entry fee is charged at the
door, ALCOHOL cannot be served.
OK, that works  -  a bunch of ginger-
faced droolers drinking Sprite, Coke,
and Ginger Ale. Hey? Wanna' buy a
bridge to Brooklyn? It's all about
payoffs and corruption in your local
municipality. That's where the Biker
world sometimes got very weird.
-
Half the time anyway what people
called me I never dd understand. When
I was growing up, you just did your
growing up stuff  -  fights, mistakes,
injuries, odd habits,  and let it go
at that. You were what you were. But
now, every little quirk of a kid's act
has a syndrome, a name, a drug, and
a school diagnosis. I've been called,
once or twice, an idiot savant. No
freaking idea what that means, but
it had the word idiot in it, so I never
liked it, thanks. I've been herded in
with the bi-polar crowd, the autistic
crowd, the obsessive-compulsive
crowd. Each crowd has a different
dance, and none of them did I like.
It was all like doing the polka with
a broom handle up your butt, and
someone always pushing it. What
was the use of that? I just got away,
moved away from it. I've never had
any prescribed pills and medications.
That stuff just wasn't around. What
really used to piss me off was the
apparent attitudes of, like, teachers
and school people  -  obviously they
were mis-diagnosed. They were the
ones who were obsessive about
being compulsive, demanding that
something is this way and this way
only. Strange behavior for people
considered wise. Same with church;
same with recreation groups, and
even family stuff. What the hell was
ever up I never knew. People would
rip down hundreds of acres of nice
woods and trees, denude and ruin
everything, put up 50 or 100 houses,
and then go around extolling it all,
nay, making money off of it, and then
begin preaching, in the front of a
classroom how you're supposed to
be re-cycling, conserving, going
easy on the chemicals and landscape,
use less power, remain frugal. Etc.
I ask you  -  who's the jerk around
here? And who's obsessively lying
and despoiling everything. That
includes parents, actually. They
should be the ones teaching their
kids revolution and personal
insurrection. Instead, everyone's
preaching 'murder, mayhem,
death, and violence,' as a real,
bona-fide career choice.
-
So, anyway, all it ever came across
to me as was a big hole. A hole
I neither wished to fall in nor stick
any part of myself in either. I had a
no-compromise attitude, but I kept
it pretty easy  -  even keel, cloak
of invisibility and reason. That's
probably why I went nuts  -  it's a
bad way to live. You can't repress,
can't always keep it all in. The
trouble is, society works against
you, and the things that need to be
said about things never get said.
Here's a for instance, right now  -
you tell me, you go ahead and
count them, all this Hollywood
and entertainment and corporate
and political sexual deviance and
exploitation stuff, you tell me
how many of those last names
aren't Jewish. Just go ahead. It's
never mentioned, never touched
on (no pun), never even brought up.
Why? Because no one has the balls
to stand up to the entrenchments
and call things out for what they
are. Because you'd simply get
slaughtered, media-wise, because
the very same people doing the
complaining are the same sorts
of people who are first to the
barricades of protesting about 
anti-Semitism or common
political  incorrectness. I don't
know where any of it ends. I
guess the self-destruction of
society and culture actually IS
the desired end, because they're
all well on their way to that now.
-
You remember how, in the previous
chapter, I mentioned the jumping
clock hands and how I used that
concept as a means of diving in
to the spaces created, the inner and
cosmic gaps it all represented, to
begin writing and filling that
space with details and facts
and situations? I meant it. I
enjoyed the details, and they came
easy to me. It became a way
of writing that I worked on, over
and over, endlessly. That, with
the added companionship of
'Art'  -  which basically allowed 
me to do the same thing with line 
and color and content, in a different,
abstracted (meaning WITHOUT 
words), less linear way than even
writing was. It was like a fine,
double-barreled shotgun of a
large caliber  -  in my hands and
which I controlled. Mischievously
touching; tenderly adroit. Like
watching the condemned man,
on his last walk to the scaffold,
avoiding the puddle before him,
and climbing the scaffold, after
being blindfolded for the drop,
putting his hands behind his neck,
and pulling to adjust the blindfold's
knot, where it was just a bit too
uncomfortably, tight.  You notice 
stuff like that and realize even a 
condemned man, at his very last 
moments, has a common and
simple human impulse. Those
things are details, the details
of being alive. And still one
other thing I noticed - in reading
the Bible, there's no detail. There's
no description of anything, just the
jump-act of activity : Most detail, 
if it's there, is functional or symbolic.
Ancient storytellers seemed to have
no pressure to invoke a lifelike passing
of 'real' time. Their time, too, passes
jerkily, swiftly. I figured it was part
of the plan they rope you with,
nothing being what it seems. First
they say Time is continuous, and then,
 just when you settle in, they lock you
up against your wishes, in a crummy
school, and hit you with a jumping
clock. Nothing is ever what you've
been told. If the self, as it turns  out,
is a fictional character (parented by
life and written by ourselves), it's all
ours to make  -  and you make it,
I surmised, by filling in those 
(equally fictional) gaps...with 
things and with details.




No comments: