Tuesday, February 27, 2018

10,576. I'LL CALL IT ART

I'LL CALL IT ART
The tangential frequencies are all of what I
see, thank you. And. I'll Call. It. Art. 
Thank you just the same  -  for stepping
back a few feet to see better; for not
commenting on an errant line; for keeping
quiet even if your stomach grumbles.
-
Yes, there are two other rooms of this,
and a history behind it all too. Brooklyn
Museum this isn't, but then again neither
is it Elmira's 'Arnot Art Museum.' Boy, 
did I have trouble with that one, while 
living there. They'd never show my
work, unless it was for some short,
cottage-cheese event. Always a cause.
-
Their stupid name too  -  are these things
art or not? Are not Art, Museum. Who
thought that up? Well, anyway, what
do you gravitate too? Floral art or the
heavy conceptual stuff : where they tell
you what's there even though nothing is and
you need to imagine it first, and then they
paint the wall some bad shade of teal
and throw a bullet-proof sackcloth at it
that sticks onto velcro-held patterns.
-
Believe me, if you give them the right
wine and cheese, they'll applaud by the 
end of the night  -  even with a strolling
violin trio with a stand-up bass thrown in.

No comments: