Sunday, February 18, 2018

10,543. A FRAGRANCE OUT OF ZION

A FRAGRANCE OUT OF ZION
This has to be the most fragrant
pestilence I've ever noticed. Smells
like tincture of eau de grace. All that
floral stuff like an old matron dragging
through a swamp of greed. I found this
crate of largesse out behind the old
shed. And wouldn't you know it, some
old lady sitting there too. They said he
was one-hundred-and-two and could
still recite a sonnet by Shakespeare
if you ask. If I'd ask? The problem
was she was deaf. How was I to ask?
-
Overhead, the helicopter from Linden
Airport kept jarring around. I pointed
up (I didn't like that sound). I said she
was deaf, yes, but the other guy piped
up. 'It's nothing. They run by up there
all afternoon long. Those are training
flights from Linden; an hour at a time.'
-
He said 'You can tell a training flight, 
because if you look, the rotors, at the
top, they're slightly pointed up.' I saw
nothing. If she couldn't hear then, and
I couldn't see, I figured we weren't to
much be up to anything anyway. I
smiled him off, and walked away.

No comments: