Friday, February 16, 2018

10,532. GLUMLY IN THE ATTIC

GLUMLY IN THE ATTIC
I'm a slacker oftentimes, though not
always. I have my habits and I have
my ways. Anyway, I went to see this
fellow the other night, from my past,
the old seminary days. Incognito went 
I, hoping not to be revealed. It worked. 
The lady came out (I'd arrived for 7pm, 
but it wasn't starting until 8), and asked
if I'd like to join their hour of writing
workshop. He was running that too. I
declined (I'd brought a small book
along, and another notebook to write 
in, so was able to stay busy). I have 
no use for workshops at all. Nor the
goopy people who sit in. Might as
well seek self-happiness, I proclaimed.
The room was warm, and I was too
hot; so I eventually stood up and took 
off a jacket. (I'd come with a supply of
them too, as it were). Soon people
did begin drifting in. The sort of older
couples you find at these things early.
They squinted and whispered, and 
peered at bad art. Loquacious to a 
fault, they dealt their tastes and 
standards out. High-school stuff
has no equivalent in Art. It didn't
work at all. Anyway, the time arrived
and he came out. Slowly, at a bit,
perhaps deliberate, not tendentious  - 
talking his small wavestorm through
house and home and family. A few
good Albert Street stories. A baseball
poem too, and the inevitable standard
Anne Frank school-level pastiche, the
way teachers do. I stayed. He was OK.
I'd wished to talk, but chickened out.
I've too much to say and it wouldn't 
have gone well. He's stuck in a system
I find gone-to-Hell. No sense bucking
his bronco with all my broken dreams.
-
On the other hand (yes, yes, there's
always that), I could have asked a few 
things, but I find these sorts of folk
never answer direct.  Always evasive,
not withing to engage. I think that's
part of all that school-rhetoric he's so
fond of : the uplift for creative kids,
(ain't ever none); the swirling device
of good intentions, (ain't that either),
and that old swirling dervish, 'Can't
with 'til I retire, won't that pension
be great." Where glumly in the attic 
the sentimental memories are stored,
not the things once abhorred. It's
like that in a world where push is 
always brought to shove, where 
thankfulness has fingers, and 
fingers have gloves.


No comments: