Thursday, February 1, 2018

10,475. THE UPTICK AT THE WINDING LAKE

THE UPTICK AT 
THE WINDING LAKE
There was a farmhouse out here
once, with a pond near as large
as a lake  -  I never knew where 
they drew the dividing line for
any of that categorization. But 
it held, always, and in reserve,
8 canoes. That's a lot. 2 Rowboats
as well; and there would be times 
when I'd see them all out, at once. 
Perhaps a little crowded, but, space
is just space, on the water. You
really don't need it as much. 
-
At the other extreme here, and in
my mind, as it were, I'd always
think, why? You can't really get
anywhere; why be out on a lake.
Or a pond? Where are you going
to go? Nowhere you cannot see
from here. I never got the thrill.
-
Maybe to an Impressionist painter
or one of those plein-air guys,
maybe then it had a marker, made
some sense. A different light; an 
angle, heretofore unseen with paint
and brush. But even then, big deal.

No comments: