Tuesday, February 13, 2018

10,516. RUDIMENTS, pt. 225

RUDIMENTS, pt. 225
Making Cars
I don't think there's really a
place for something like
Hackelbarney any more, in
American life. Hacklebarney
as I found it anyway. When
you think about it even the
New York Public Library was
unable to keep the painting
'Kindred Spirits' in their
possession and on display.
I used to go look at it, often.
In the Berg Museum, inside,
whatever they called that
large exhibit room on the
upstairs, library, floor.
It wasn't at the ground-level
entry exhibition rooms, of
changing exhibits, etc. This
had its own, favored niche
on a very rich, traditional
wall in a usually very interesting
room. Seeing it there always
brought peace. It's gone now.
They sold it, for 'budgetary'
reasons, to the WalMart Museum
in Bentonville. Arkansas. The
daughter of Sam Walton put
together, I'm told, some sort
of slam-bang-museum, 'The
Crystal Bridges Museum of
Art.' Whatever its value, it's
not value to me. Dispersed to
Arkansas. No bargain.
-
Once something is emptied out,
it's empty. The emptiness then
becomes part of the overall
consciousness, and after that
there's not much else going on.
You begin walking in that
emptiness because there's no
place else to go. It's a sorrowful
thing. I used to take, for way
too many years, the early train
to Princeton. I mean early;
like 5:17 or something  - the
only other people on that train
were the overnight-shift people
from hotels and restaurants and
things in NYC, and early guys
for construction jobs and other
transit jobs. Most people had
passes or ID cards (this was
before today's scannable stuff
they do now). Night shift, second
tier people; mostly asleep, tired,
groggy, or quiet. Which is why
I took it; no others on the platform
to bother me, no one to yap during
the ride. It was quiet and peaceful.
The two conductor ladies, after a
while, just stopped coming to me
for tickets, and insisted I just ride,
for free. Every so often I'd bring
them some Entenmann's donuts
or cake, and coffee. Good deal.
Everything else had just, by then,
rattled me so much I couldn't
much any longer stand it. The
problem was, the rides home
held no such solution  -  people,
talk, noise.
-
It was difficult, but I tried to
develop a habit of not letting
things throw me, just remaining
aloof, and calm. Even today  -  God
knows it's often the last thing I can
do, and the hardest too. But when
I look at the way we all live now,
the general 'climate' of things, it's
just too painful for me. I'm always
hurting and some little voice is
(mostly) guiding me slowly along,
remaining calmly at sideline. It
works. But the modern world tries
to make it as unworkable as possible.
And I watch carefully, in that I
usually can see when bad things
are coming. Just ahead of their
arrival. Like omens  -  something
will jump out at me and a part of
my mind will begin doing the
momentary reading for me. After
it happens, too, then it is all instantly
clear what was trying to be told to me.
But I end up thinking that if that alone
is the best Life has to offer, as far as
foretelling things or giving one 'advice'
as it were, then what good is any of it?
My computer blows up, a car quits,
something gets lost, hurt, injured or
broken.  I'm still left holding the bag,
omens and advice notwithstanding.
What does it avail a man to gain
his life but lose his soul? Or
however that goes. One tough
hombre, this spirit-guide,
or God.
-
Funny too, I remember once being
somewhere and hearing Bob Dylan
splurt out, 'Uh uh, God don't do
vacation homes.' Pretty cool. In
the context, it was right  -  someone
had asked him about praying for
needed favoritism from the Spirit
to achieve a wished-for end. Fun
stuff, especially when you think of
the way people play things  -  lotteries
and games and chances. Me too. 'If
just this once, here's what I'd do....'
I guess none of that cuts anything,
but I go to bed angry half the time
at the proclaimed uselessness of a
life with no tangible ends.
-
See what solitude does to a brain?
One of my late friends, Jeff Gordon,
his father had something to do with
the music industry, and Jeff, as a
late teen, early adult, sometimes
was allowed to sit in on production
meetings and record-industry stuff
in NYC. (He too later became a
record-producer). He said once or
twice the guest at a meeting, the
subject of the meeting, was Bob
Dylan himself, Columbia Records,
etc. He said Dylan was the strangest,
antsiest person he'd ever seen.
Uncommunicative, at the rear of
the room, sitting against the wall,
twisting and nervous. Not much ever
spoken. Just a real personality of
pestilence. He still shook his head
at some of the things he'd remember.
You work at being alone, you do
eventually get there. BUT, the world
isn't made for that sort of person  -
instead it's an in-your-face social
assault, a soiree demanding that you
come join the dance. Cakes, soda,
and donuts, all for tempting free.
'Stuff ain't stuff if it ain't the stuff
you wanted.' I said that.
-
Dylan lived first at w.4th, then
for a while he stayed at Gramercy,
and then Bearsville, and then
Woodstock, and then he bought
this place at the end of MacDougal
Street. I forget the address, but it
was significant, for me. #94-96,
I think it was, he made one place
out of the two. I used to say that,
thinking it was holy, a really nifty
thing to say. Then I'd try and think,
from my hole in the ground, how'd
he get all that together, how'd his
vacation home happen? No different
from mine  -  except he made one
from the two. World and spirit?
Heart and soul? Life and death?
I and Thou? (That's Martin Buber,
an old Jewish mystical guy). He had
this (Dylan, not Buber) Ford station
wagon I'd see around. It was cool
like a '64 or something that he'd got
his record company to buy for him
and Victor Maymudes, his sidekick
and gofer. Whatever needed arranging,
doing, getting, stopping, forbidding.
Victor did all that for Bob. If Bob
didn't want someone around, Victor
made sure that person wasn't around.
Sure as sure  -  it became a shielded
Jewish phalanx of folkrock-like
proto-hipsters intent on filling the
hole that had been created between
the end of the Beats and that putrid
interlude of hippiedom. Dylan
wanted no part of that at all, and
Victor made sure he got none of it.
Except some of the drugs and stuff.
They were making, really, a new
culture entirely. These two places 
he'd connected, 94-96 MacDougal, 
were really great. He'd convinced 
the other rowhouse people (there 
were about ten of these homes stuck 
together in a nice row, with a massive, 
shared yard area, private spaces, 
seclusion) that he'd be no trouble, 
bring in no riff-raff, conduct himself 
lightly and not get unwound. Nice.
They'd used that Ford, much earlier, 
on their west coast trip , about 
(and back), about '65, to visit some
of the west-coast stuff that did too,
later, get Dylan's attentions by the
later 70's. This 94-96 MacDougal
place was almost at the end of the
street, at Houston Street. There was
a basketball court/playground across 
the way, always busy, and lots of
cars and traffic, (always busy) inching
its way along Houston Street, heading
east or west (or both, it sometimes
seemed  -  again that he made the
'two into one' theme). Then it all
got too much, they went upstate,
he cracked, they concocted a 
motorcycle tragedy story out of 
a small tumble, and the rest was 
history once he got going there with 
The Band  -  again provoking and
again concocting a whole other 
Americana line of shame on 
everyone. Once that Woodstock
Village thing got going, there was
no stopping any of it.
-
None of those guys ever really knew
what they were in the middle of  - you
see, they just DID. They worked, without.
the worry. All these little, rabble, folk
you see now, all straining and trying to
get to some imagined, flaccid end.
But they actually WANT something,
or have convinced themselves they do.
Pretending at improvements and at
rectitude, but making all this junk up
too, as they roll along. I stayed pat.
My NY streets weren't made of anything
like that. As I said in the previous chapter,
when Judy said 'provinces' I said huh?
-
As for Zimmy, I always wanted to 
drag his skinny little Hebrew ass to 
Hackelbarney. But I never did. Never 
got that vacation home either. And
he'd not ever have understood.



No comments: