Friday, February 23, 2018

10,560. WALKING 19TH STREET IN MY SLEEP

WALKING 19TH STREET 
IN MY SLEEP
There's a little shed for the not-so-busy
Indian merchant, right there, by Baruch
College and the Armory too. The men
just sit around all day, with occasional
sales -  don't get me wrong  - but they
sputter and chew on something they
like. It's probably got a subcontinent
name, available anywhere here, but who
knows. Me? I fear for their lives, not
so much mine. How much boredom
can an immigrant take? Any group of
 twisted kids from over by the school
can stop by  -  for a snack, something
to drink, something to keep them going 
-  but it must be hard too. There are ten
other stores, at least, and I count by
conservative means, right around here
doing the same thing. But this is the
only one in a shed, a happenstance,
sidewalk, thrown-up mess. I'd go there
just for that. And I did once, just to
see the inside. The men were pleasant,
smiles and a nod; but you could tell I
didn't know them and they didn't know
me. Not the hometown crowd, let's say.
Pernicious overflow of alien culture.
That's the one!
-
You need to stop and think; why bother?
Who would set up shop in such a place?
All around them, bells and whistles.
Sushi, pricier foods, fancier Asian places,
a few jiffy-mart type joints, hair and nails,
manicure, spuds and spas. Nothing worth
much, but something everywhere. Yet,
no shed, no sloppy mess, no rambling
building. That's what draws me in.

No comments: