Tuesday, January 24, 2023

16,004. YOUNG DAYS

YOUNG DAYS
'That nuthatch is a spitfire', my wife said,
after feeding the birds their suet. I said it
can't be two things at once, but I guess the
bird didn't hear it. It was too busy just being
a bird.
-
I realized in an instant that Humans ought to
be the same way : Instead of shimmering with
all that gossip and junk and sports and games,
they should just hunker down and do what's
natural. Except that I don't think that's possible.
One time, in about 1972, outside of those Elmira
College buildings by the Mark Twain Study, at
the benches that ringed the grass, I was waiting
between classes and some guy got my ear. He
was enthused and caught up, and went on and
on about 'The Secret Sharer' by Joseph Conrad.
-
It was OK, but I was never really bowled over 
by it, but to each his own  -  in thinking about
this the other day, I re-read it the next two nights.
That's some 30 years since I, back then, had read
it for this class; but this guy had the minutiae of
it all down pat. It's sort of about a double, but it's
not  -  the secret sharing if of a fugitive escaped
from another boat (the Phaedra) and the new
Captain of The Phaedra, who finds him and hides
him  -  all a sort of internalized doppelganger tale
of two men. The tension is in the close-calls of
being almost found out, and, I guess too, maybe
the descriptions of the men, the crew, the crew's
activities, and then the escape again.
-
It was all nothing special to me and almost came
across as trite. Conrad was a Pole, whose native
 language was Polish but who wrote in English.
Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't, but this guy
was enthralled. He was so caught up it got
painful to watch : maybe one could be two
things at once.

No comments: