Saturday, January 21, 2023

15,984. BORSTAL BOYS

BORSTAL BOYS
I might have been a Borstal Boy,
back then, if I'd had another week,
Who knows? Bendan Behan had
nothing on me. One more turn may
have done me in; but there were no
more turns for me.
-
I'd always tried staying straight, but
then nothing always occurred to turn,
and then all those motorcycle years 
surely took their steady toll: breaking
small laws, and stealing by small crime.
-
A man is not a man with a trailing 
shadow. The first time I was doomed,
I was doomed by myself, the second
time was by somebody else. Now? I'm
late for my own party, but it's a my own
expense...and at least I feel better about
that.
 - 
They don't really offer you much, those
hoodlum boys : another caper, a brand
new knife. Standing around half drunk,
looking at bikes. More and more the same,
then everything would change; the girls 
were sometimes pretty, but mostly kept 
out of range. Asbury Park? Spent a lot
of time their too : in the Home of the
Mentally Deranged (that was the sign
inside the bar).

No comments: