Tuesday, January 17, 2023

15,955. JUST LIKE OLDEN TIMES

JUST LIKE OLDEN TIMES
I think the two most startling poets
who came to  me were Frank O'Hara
and John Ashbery. I knew neither of
them from Adam, but they became like
friends. Ashbery lived a very long life
and  -  only dying recently  -  left a very
long trail. Good words abound, but some
of it  -  oh so odd and convoluted.
-
Poor Frank, dying as he did, and young
to not deserve it. Lunch Poems, as idea,
still knocks me out. So very 1950's New
York. He was run down by a beach taxi,
or beach ambulance, something like that,
on the beach at Fire Island, in the middle 
of the darkness of night. So sad. That was
1966, the year of the Six Days War.
-
Israel was then a rising tide; unlike now, a
leech and a drag. Things were so different, 
and I was, what, 17? What did I know about
anything (but if you asked me, I knew it all).
Such a funny time for little feet. Jeff Gutman,
high school rabble, leading on the Jewish
charge; every morning the New York Times
in Mr. Brown's history class. A real cheerleader
for the Israelis, from his little seat in Woodbridge
High. Stuff like that made me think, 'Who am I?'
-
What else does a 17-year old think about, well,
except maybe for sex, of course. That's a new
and untrammeled land by then  -  or at least it
should have been. But, city talk had it that most
girls gave it out by age 13  -   great project if
you lived in the projects?
-
Anyway, those two guys took over my life; 
their writings anyway. I never much cared about 
personalities, for they came and went like wartime
skirmishes of Egyptians and Jews. It was all in
the words. I was fixated. And there was Berryman.
John Berryman. He later jumped off a bridge in
Minneapolis, I think it was. Alcoholic, and out
of control; an incensed by ideal personality who
lost his grip on reality. Poor fellow too.
-
All of this must have went for something, inside
me; welling up. And then, John Gardner, a writer
of fiction, a few really good books, out of Binghamton,
NY, teaching. He got killed when his motorcycle
crashed somewhere up there. More sadness and
more to grieve. Man, I miss those guys and days.
That must have been the 70's.
-
Kind of the Stephen King set out of non-Hollywood
sextet. New York Poets, everywhere, but not a room
to let. That field was crowded, from Kenneth Koch 
to Barbara Guest and James Schuyler too. Where do
I hide, where do I run? How do I do it, what do I get?

No comments: