Friday, January 13, 2023

15,938. THE FRENCH REVOLUTION

THE FRENCH REVOLUTION
I've just completed reading a long and 
tedious book about the French Revolution.
I stayed with it, yes, for a long time, but it
really wasn't my cup of tea pretty much an
academic book written for other academics.
Footnoted and cited to death, and the prose
was deadening too.
-
Not a map, nor a diagram to be found. Another
shortcoming, I'd say. The manner in which the
important things were mentioned, but with
little detail or development, seemed confusing.
Like I said, little of it was written for the reader.
-
It's OK, and I got through it, with some labor
and with waning interest. But, it changed my
perspectives a little. I'd always kind of thought
the French Revolution happened quick : a sudden
onslaught of the rabble, with blood in the street an
pooling at the curb. Issues and statement by many
mad-men : Robespierre, Danton, Necker, and a cast 
of thousands, most often dwindled by the guillotine.
-
It was, by right of fact, the end of the feudal age:
a transition, a break with the past. Rights and 
seigniors cast right down to Hell.

No comments: