Monday, January 16, 2023

15,949. WILLIAM BLAKE

 WILLIAM BLAKE
Wandering those charter'd streets again, 
that's me, in 1994 : (' I wander through 
these charter'd streets near where the 
charter'd  Thames doth flow, and mark 
in every face I meet, marks of weakness, 
marks of woe.'). Had it been 1944, the 
streets would still have been smoldering.
As it was, it was 1794, and England was
soldiering on.
-
('In every cry of every man, in every
infants cry of fear, in every voice : in
every ban, the mind-forg'd manacles
I hear.').
-
There's too much there for me to stand.
I can't take in any more. The world, 
revolving, and revolting too, was in a
quite contagious mood. Streets and curbs
were being formed in noxious coalside
fumes, as people, felled daily by poverty
and starvation too, dropped mindlessly
from thos noxious fumes. A blackn'ing
city indeed!
-
('How the Chimney-sweepers cry
every blackning church appalls, and
the hapless soldiers cry runs in blood
down Palace walls.'
-
But most thro' midnight streets I hear
how the youthful Harlots curse blasts
the new-born Infants tear, and blights 
with plagues the Marriage hearse.').
-
And so I dip anew my heart to the streets;
blackening waters with foul memories, and
edging the curb with but a new-found hope
and bold reveries. But now it is 2023.

No comments: