Friday, January 13, 2023

15,937. I WAVE AT NOTHING

 I WAVE AT NOTHING
Back in the old days I waved back at 
everything that waved first. People, I'm
talking. I was fairly well-known. I'd go
somewhere and - out of the blue - would 
pop up a face that knew me. A nod, and
I'd wave back, and talk ensued. My goodly
wife always said, 'What's with this? People
either love you or hate you, and from either
side it's scary.' She was right, and a few of
these encounters did turn vile, here and there.
I never fought back, just went down at the
first hit, and stayed. Neither did I care.
-
I had friends, on the other end of the 
spectrum too, who'd just as soon shoot to 
kill for retribution. Requests got weird: 'Hey,
can you have this guy roughed up for me? 
He's my girlfriend's ex, and won't let us be.'
A few charades at the Maple Tree can attest.
-
Mostly, though, life was easy and restful enough;
I'd cared little for matter, as matter cared little
for me. Enough to huff and puff. The bar life was
almost free.


No comments: