Friday, October 20, 2017

10,075. BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
I don't even know what they are, 
but the canasta players are saying 
all is good. I think I can remember 
my own parents going on about that 
word, long time back, in the 1950's, 
late. I never knew what it was and it 
just seemed like a high-class card game
to me. I hated cards. And board games
too; Jeez they were a waste. I had two
friends, about 10, a brother and a sister,
and all they ever wished to do was play 
some crummy board game named Mille
Bournes. It had cards too, as I recall,
which probably made it doubly evil to 
me. I think it meant 'a million miles.'
Or it felt like it for sure  -  something 
about car-trip stuff. They had a stupid 
little dog too, they called it 'Cherie.' 
I should have known something was 
up. I'd go over there, and right next
door to them, two older kids lived in
that house, two brothers. They were 
always playing The Everly Brothers,
and whovever it was sang 'Peggy Sue.'
I don't know, I forget his name. 
Lily-white, white-bread crap.
Oh, yeah, Buddy Holly. And
the Crickets, no less.

No comments: