Thursday, October 26, 2017

10,091. RUDIMENTS, pt. 116

RUDIMENTS, pt.116
Making Cars
One thing I always had to fight off
and be wary of was having a  -  what
I'll call  -  'Moses Complex.' I had
to stay very discrete about all that,
since in truth of fact I was often
enough dealing with 'revelated'
information and revealed knowledge
which had been dispensed to me.
(Go ahead you can laugh; I don't
care  -  nor will it change the factual
reality of what I'm saying one iota).
I was supposed to take it, and work
with it, given to me more as a 'raw'
material stream than anything else.
Look at all my stuff these years.
I've done my job. Now, it didn't
ever, and doesn't, mean I have any
new or privileged information to
impart to others in formats of direction
and course. I'm not leading anyone
anywhere. I don't possess any secret,
inscribed boards nor have I been
anywhere special or not to where
I've gotten this info. It's just there,
within me, part of my story and
soul. So I'm not any Moses, lead
no special flock, and am not about
to be pushing or prodding anyone
to follow my dictates. That's all the
Moses complex weird stuff I keep
away from. That entire story never
did set right with me anyway, based
on my own belief systems. That was
all psycho-drama and fear. I can't
lead people where I've never been;
I guess it's sort of like that.
-
There was trouble enough for me in
wending my way through the threads 
of people I'd encounter  -  each of those
street people and low-level workers
in NY City  -  I was surely a nobody, 
and I realized it quickly. A lot of my
life there took place in the cold. That
first Winter anyway. I'd never thought
about the cold before. At home, I can 
always recall my own parents using
70 degrees as some Wintertime ideal
for a thermostat setting  - which seems
high now, for me, in these days. And
in the seminary, I'd remember how w'd
occasionally grouse, on those late-night
study hall nights when the first chills 
came through and we were, yes, cold. 
They had a policy of 'no-heat' being 
turned on until  some date in early 
November, the 10th or close to that. 
It wasn't anything religious, just  a 
policy of the organization, and I
suppose it all had to do with budgetary
considerations. It never much mattered
to me, as we were just dumb kids, always
on the move and managing to stay warm
just by exertion. It was the long, slow
dread of the dark study-hall 10pm
nights that made us feel the cold. Not
moving around, forced into a small 
desk space, and probably bored and 
tired too. When I finally did move
myself into the Studio School basement,
there was always a richness of warmth
and I'd luxuriate, while reading or
whatever, in listening to the pipes 
clang, and feeling the heat rising 
out as it radiated along, and I think
of curious questions too, things like
how does metal expand and then 
contract to make those noises, and
what were they, and how long did 
the heat stay in one place? Duckbill
cosmic, questions like that on the head
of a pin, with no real, ever, answers
-
Forgetting all that Moses stuff was 
also a way of keeping myself humble. 
That was important. There wasn't 
any ways or means for me to think 
differently about myself; I certainly
 hadn't won any lottery, and they 
didn't do lotteries back then anyway 
except for something called the
Irish Sweepstakes, which I never 
got to the bottom of, nor ever really 
heard about either, except in passing
 or in someone's off-handed reference. 
Now, there's some sort of bungled-up 
lottery every ten minutes and some 
state or government agency is always 
peddling them in your face. It's pretty
 incredible how things have changed, 
like sin-stuff, like naked babes, like 
gambling and lotteries all together. 
And I found that everything I touched, 
I really didn't know anything about. 
Helping the horse guy, whatever 
he meant about firing the bellows, 
lifting the plugs, anything about 
blankets, horseshoes or oats, I 
hadn't a clue at first. Same with 
all that welding stuff and the 
metal working that Jim Tomberg 
got me involved with. Like Greek, 
at first. I myself had evidently come 
out of that lowly Avenel chute with
nothing to go on but hunches and 
picking up information instantly 
along the way, learning by doing, 
as it were, and then trying to fake 
that I'd 'known it all along.' That's 
not, for sure, any way to try and
have people following you.
-
I was more apt to play the corn-pone 
route, impress to do my best cackling 
Mark Twain infusion. Re-telling 
stories in a weavy-roundabout fashion
that held the center-stage lights steady 
as people watched and listened. I found 
that type of repartee and reportage was 
what held people's attention and got 
you into places. Nobody wants just 
another hard-faced egghead slopping 
around with stiff lips and acting like 
royalty, telling you all he (or she) knows 
about everything you just asked. That 
gets so un-colorfully tiresome in about 
25 minutes that even the geese want 
to v-up and fly the heck out of there.  
And it's all understandable. So I took 
my clues elsewhere. Intellectuals 
bored the hell out of me, and I could 
read whatever I wanted whenever 
and didn't need no haughty-mouth 
talking me down with any self-serving
commentary about it.
-
Some years later, when I did finally 
make it up to Elmira, NY, and lived 
in the Elmira and Ithaca area for six 
or seven years, pretending to be 
schooling in places like Cornell and 
Elmira College, otherwise a real 
drudge, I was as surprised as anyone 
to learn that Mark Twain was buried 
there, in his wife's Langdon family 
plot  -  nice grave and tomb, and little 
hillock area and all. It gave me good 
chuckle to think  of old Sam Clemens 
buried there as Mark Twain and being
interred as he was, in that family plot, 
with a son-in-law of his named Ossip 
Gabrilowitz. Yep, that's the name, and 
they have plaques and head carvings 
and all. This Ossip guy was a famous 
Polish pianist who'd made world tours 
and a grand reputation playing Chopin 
and Liszt and all those guys. When he 
died he was rightly famous, and I always 
pictured the surprise on Mark Twain's
face in whatever Twainian Heaven or
Hell they'd be, lifting his eyebrows upon
seeing he'd be in eternity with a piano-
cracker named Ossip. The same Mark
Twain who peopled his world with the
simplest of named characters and 
straight-line intentions  - Becky, Huck,
Tom, Jim, and the rest. If he ever used
a name like 'Ossip Gabrilowitz', it would
have been to make fun of haughtiness or 
some otherwise over-wrought trait. That's
the way Twain did things. I pictured him,
picking up his ears, and saying, as he
chomped on his cigar in his celestial
white suit : 'Now, Ossip, there, I may
have, I do believe, detected a slipped
key, a blue note, in what you've just
been playing, Ossip, and, ah, now, Ossip
seeing as to how you and I gets to spend
eternity together, well, Ossip, I do think,
you' a'better get to practicing so as to
avoid that off-key and mis-noted material,
I may have been hearing there, Ossip.'


No comments: