Sunday, October 29, 2017

10,107. RUDIMENTS, pt.119

RUDIMENTS, pt. 119
Making Cars
While I was working the biker
racket I was able to learn about
a million things, the sort of things
that can be absorbed into the
lifestream and easily remembered.
Covering those meetings that I
mentioned, for the Star Ledger,
they were the real eye-openers.
There was a Board Of Education
guy in Piscataway (Schoolhouse
Road, actually) who, whenever
they held their meetings, to which
I was assigned, he was the meeting
Chair and was, and comported himself
as, an absolute raving maniac, with a
gavel, no less. It used to just about
make me crazy to have to sit there,
(for 50 bucks a meeting) and listen
to him. I was supposed to, by definition,
just be there to report proceedings,
facts and figures, budget and curriculum
stuff, etc. It never worked that way
because, by the time this guy was done
with a meeting, even I was ready to
lunge for his neck. This was already 
like 22 years ago, so understand that 
I no longer even remember the little 
jerk's name or position, except that he 
should have been shackled and chained. 
No one else in the entire stupid room 
ever piped up or pushed back on him  
- these were locals and Board of Ed 
people who were complete cowards. 
This guy ran rampant over them  -  he 
was filled with vile and attitude. He 
was also, by chance (!) the Superintendent 
of Schools for Piscataway. We had press 
credentials to wear around our neck, 
and a seating area for the 'Press.' 
After the first few meetings I caught 
on, and never wore my card again, 
nor sat in the proper seating  -  and I 
found it didn't matter, and I also 
found myself alone. Others of 
the small Press contingent had 
just stopped coming. The reason 
for that as because this raving 
lunatic would, in the middle of 
his rant, pick at or pick out a 
press person and begin loudly 
berating them, almost violently, 
as representative of the foulest 
most irresponsible organization
 in existence. He blamed the Press 
for every problem in the Piscataway 
School District, somehow also 
including in that the 2 million 
dollar tax shortfalls and discrepancies. 
Now, he may have been right enough
or close anyway, in calling out the 
Press for its rank shortcomings, but 
he didn't know what he was even 
talking about, and he'd mixed up 
his milk with his cream, so to 
speak. He acted as if the biggest 
issue in the entire USA, and 
captivating everyone's attention, 
was the small-beans paw-play 
of the Piscataway Bd. of Ed., 
which merely meant to me that 
the small-man's Ego was so 
inflated and so twisted that I 
don't know how he even faced 
a wife and family, if he had one. 
I pictured his getting home, 
bragging 'I showed them', taking 
off his tie, and bending his wife 
immediately over the stove or 
kitchen table and sex-pounding 
her for about three minutes. To 
achieve satisfaction, as it were, 
through her submission to him. 
The guy was obviously deranged, 
as was I, almost, when I realized 
that, as elected officials, these Board 
of Ed people actually had people 
who voted for him. How that 
occurred, I never knew. I think
the position of Superintendent 
of Schools is a hire, by interview, 
etc. In that case, as well, I have 
no idea how this man was ever 
even considered, let alone hired, 
nor how he possibly could have 
gotten on with any underlings. I 
hope he's found some peace by now, 
dead or alive, I wouldn't know. But
in the testimony book of  bad public 
officials, I hope that  creepy guy 
has a chapter  of his very own.
-
In the complete other direction to 
this, and a meeting for which I 
monthly asked and volunteered 
my services (still however being 
payed), was the almost comedic 
East Orange Board of Ed Meeting. 
It was almost like a revival meeting, 
1995 version anyway. Totally 
pre-computer, as all of these were, 
and pre-smart-phones too, so none of 
the weird and distracted stuff occurred. 
These were all, believe me  -  no slander 
intended  -  fat, black people in gaudy 
and cheap but 'formal' clothing. East 
Orange, if not a ghetto, was as close 
to one as could be for blacks and poor 
people everywhere, with storefront 
churches at every third building, 
named things like the 'Glory Hallelujah 
Heavely Church of the Risen Christ-Body
in Heaven,' or the 'New Jerusalem Holy 
Water Living Stream Temple.' You get 
the idea. When prosperity moves out, 
the storefront churches always move in, 
and the poorer the community, the more 
invigorating the storefront churches get. 
This was front-and-center, Ground Zero. 
There was absolutely, in East Orange, 
NO separation of church and state, as, 
in any indigence and welfare state, one 
demanded the other and relied on its 
services for people to stay alive. 'The 
Church of the Holy Can of Free Soup' 
would have said it no better. Somehow 
the State of NJ required them, as 
well, to run a school system and 
have 'Bd. Of Ed.' meetings. Beats me 
why. They were call and response shout
outs, meetings in name only, covering 
curriculum, text books, theories of 
evolution and salvation, behavior 
modification, funds and funding, 
how to get funds and funding, and
 'where'd that fund and funding go? 
If a black version of the Marx Brothers 
could have run a meeting, this would 
have been it. Nothing really ever got 
done anyway, and Brother Spencer, for 
all I know, right after the meeting took 
Sister Marcus to the Hacienda Motor 
Lodge on the nearby highway to 'work
things out,' and testify. It was a total 
riot. I dutifully reported whatever facts 
and numbers I could glean from 
the meeting.
-
The biggest pain in the butt, really, and
the item which made me realize this was 
NOT worth fifty dollars, was both the 
travel and gas (all on me  - most of the 
other reporters, as did I, tried to get 
assigned as close to home as possible), 
and the annoying need to turn in copy,
by telephone, for 11pm. As I said before,
this was before computers and smart
phones (I still don't have one of those,
thanks), so it was always a mad dash for
a phone booth or wall phone, and a made
dash as well, turning the scrawl and weird
shorthand into real copy, AND getting the
budget numbers and ordinance numbers 
and resolutions and laws, by number right. 
It never failed that the person on the other
end of the phone would then ask, 'OK, 
this year's passed budget figure I see is 7.3
million. What was last year's, and what's 
the percentage increase or decline?' Of
course, smart reporting and good reporting,
I learned quickly would do all that along 
the way, and slip those facts and figures
into the copy. But it was always the ONE 
thing maybe missed that would snag you, 
while the clock ticked, you wanted to get 
home, and had yet to drive. In addition 
and also treacherous and often needing 
call-backs and correction, was the spelling 
of names and titles, job categories, and 
the rest. And then, lastly, the quotes.
'Did he really say that, exactly?' (I kept 
a book of home phone numbers for 
various officials after a while, and 
would then call them up to ascertain 
the exact quote's accuracy, often of 
course, denied, or altered, that too 
causing untold problems, from a 
7pm, 2 1/2 hour or so meeting. These 
guys were often angry or annoyed 
to be quoted, wouldn't cooperate, 
or they'd stonewall what they said
or meant, or they were so full of 
themselves and looking for higher 
office that they'd twist and pillage
anything  - the reporter included  -  
to have it their way. Many, many 
annoying follow-up phone calls. 
It was no fun, at all.
-
When I covered any of the local
Woodbridge Meetings, which I did, 
my favorite thing, actually was  -  because
it seemed so cliched and textbook for
journalist stuff  -   how the few reporters would 
rush out and head right outside to where there
was a 'Quick-Chek' store, right there, with two
pay telephones (long ago removed) on the 
outside wall. Myself and, most often another 
reporter too, would get to the phones 
about the same time, ignoring each 
other, never comparing notes or 
anything. and madly dial the editor's 
desk to run in copy over the phone. 
It was a cool fifteen minutes of chatter, 
like in a movie. Very fun. Ant necessary
follow-up, the people needed were often
still inside, talking away.


No comments: