Wednesday, October 18, 2017

10,068. RUDIMENTS, pt. 108

RUDIMENTS, pt. 108
Making Cars
I've always loved 'push-back.' As
an adult, giving it right back to all
those local political types who try
running local town and village
management. Most of the time, I
could argue any side to any situation,
even with having my own, quite rigid
formulation. So, I often still do that.
I like to take issue with an issue, and
just pound. Remember me as a failed
political football, and you'll see that
I have nothing to lose. The discomfort
and half-public embarrassment that I
had to endure has inured me to being
sensitive. So I like to speak out. They're
no match for me at all, except that they
hold reins of power, in a sense, that I do
not. In any case, in the science of Reality
what matter is that? Reality has to be about
understanding. Politics is nothing of that
at all. The pen being mightier than the
sword  -  at least in the old sense of
that saying  -  there's nothing I like more
than to burst the fake-thought bubble of
some swanky low-level political hack
speaking to locals, dispensing baloney
sandwiches and ice cream for free, as they
lap up every false and insincere word
that's said to them. Right here where I
live, we have tons of that, and I do love
the occasional pounce. President Harry
S Truman (did you know that the 'S'
meant nothing at all and he just added
it there, and without any punctuation too
because he and his Missouri, Pendergast
machine politicians thought it made him
more 'Presidential?), was a haberdasher.
Someone who sold shirts, let's say. Like
any of Avenel's or anywhere's local
political diggers, he started small, with
this and that local position, then county
position, until being picked up by the
mighty, and corrupt, Pendergast machine.
They ruled Missouri, and they mostly
hand-picked those candidates they
wanted. Which they did for Harry, who
was always considered a bit of a dolt.
They kept kicking him upstairs, running
him for this and for that, again. Once in
Washington, doing the machine's bidding
all the while, incredibly a deadlocked
convention traded things away until
they were left with the deal that put
Harry S Truman up as FDR's 4th term
Vice President! Way over his head in
this position, the hope was he'd stay
invisible and play the rules. Incredibly,
FDR dies, in April 1945, I think it was,
and Truman becomes President. Amidst
a hundred life-and-death questions  - 
ending a war, saving survivors, rounding
up Nazis, rebuilding Europe, dealing
with Stalin, and more. And then! Atomic
bomb decision time. As VP, old Harry
didn't even know that project existed.
Then in quick enough time he gets
to become the one and only guy to
drop, not one, but two!
-
Sometime in the 1970's, I think, 
there was a book published entitled 
'The Peter Principle.' I really don't 
recall the author, and anyone can 
look it up; I'm not in the mood to,
and I don't wish this to be a research
paper. What I'm saying is that the
idea there was a good parallel to this 
Truman thing. It had to do with the
notion that a person will advance
as far as his or her incompetence 
allows them to advance. In Truman's
case, the accidental (and then re-elected)
Presidency. Such a person keeps getting,
or can continue getting, pushed upstairs
until their ineffectiveness becomes glaringly
apparent and then that progress stops and
there they remain, at whatever level they've
gotten to (I won't say 'achieved', because
that then refutes the premise). The idea of
this idea, the 'Peter' part of it, had to do
with Jesus and his first prime apostle,
Peter, the 'rock' upon whom that 'church'
was founded, if you follow scriptures.
Peter, according to this, somehow 'made
it to the top' and stayed there, by glint of
his steady, plodding, nothingness. To do
the orders, as needed. I suppose it's a bit
like Hannah Arendt's 'Banality of Evil,'
idea of dolts and everyday Joe's just
following orders, doing their 'duty' and
exterminating people as a routine part of
their everyday job. 
-
I have no doubt, at these low-ball jock-strap
levels of local politics, that if they were, in 
turn told, to wipe out people who didn't
trim their lawns, or properly maintain and
paint their houses, etc., they'd just go ahead
and routinely follow the dictates of doing what
they're told. To advance their own crazy
circuitry. Here in Avenel, say, we'd have
monkey teams, with ease, nailing people to
the cross-members of telephone poles for
those infractions, and for dirty cars probably
too. The reason for all those, as I began stating,
is that no one ever pushes back. People are
sheep. To them the idea of pushing back is
dress good and smell nice and go to the 
polling station and make your silly 
one-vote for (you know who) and then
go home. Truly, that's the opposite of
what's needed, and I've always thought
that and felt that. The problem for me now
is, I'm too old to give a hoot, I realize they're
all idiots, everywhere, and I just like to be
a boil on someone's ass somewhere, a burr
on their saddle; just something to annoy.
-
That's been my life : a sort of hit and run
tactic of evasive participatory, fire-burning
inner revolution. You can keep the outside.
It 'ain't worth nothing.'

No comments: