Monday, October 16, 2017

10,062. RUDIMENTS, pt. 106

RUDIMENTS, pt. 106
Making Cars
As it goes, as these story lines
proceed, I like to think of myself
as a man of two coats. But, first,
a little 'theory' writing, on my part.
The writing-voice part of me is
often enough told to cease all this
silly recounting. A dead singer of
my remembrance, one 'Elliot Smith,'
had a song written about that haunted
little house of memory into which
everyone is afraid of entering and
only furtively sneak past. (I'm badly
approximating his words, and, actually
using more of mine than his here. It's
different). They hope not to see, nor
be seen by, the house. It's scary, and
it has expansive rooms which  -  once
you've entered them, constantly grow
larger. (There's also a book, from the
year 2000, a first novel by Mark Z.
Danielewski, which deals in something
of the same vein, an interior-expansive
house wherein the detective-like culprits,
on a search, keep discovering new places,
rooms, and entries. I read it in about 2003,
I guess. It wasn't easy, was a bit annoying,
but I managed). In any case, the idea, once
broached in each of these instances, rang
true to me and rekindled a feeling about
this very world I'd had since childhood. So
this entire long rap of endless words and
sequences answers to me the very fomulaic
reality of myself, entering, and everything
then around me constantly expanding while
I try writing my way out of it all. What
once seemed a sedate and small cottage
has by now engulfed me and become an
expansive estate of 42 rooms, and each
room opens to 42 more. As they say in
early rock n' roll, 'Help me, Rhonda.'
-
So I stand by my stated intention of getting
the job done, whatever it takes, while I've
gone on, and forth, and passed, and return
again, to each wayward subject and reference
to which I'm directed. Inner directed, I
guess. So I guess the idea of the 'two coats'
which I postulated here has to do with the
visible me and, beneath that cloak, the
other me, in another coat completely,
going with and subsumed by, another task
entire. In retrospect then, it's no real
wonder at all why, over the course of
this life, I've gotten nowhere.
-
Upon moving to Inman Avenue, for the
first five or six years at least, the road
was a gravel-covered, drive  -  small,
loose, gray pebbles which threw a cloud
as cars went over them, and eventually,
every 8 months or so, would end up
having been pushed by the travel of
cars over them to either and both of the
left and right side, in a small inch or
two depth which left the roadway itself
bare, exposed, and more and more dusty.
No one ever went slow  -  it being a
direct roadway to Route One, and that
in turn - the speed -  caused a noise factor
as all the little pebbles made a sort of
crinkly noise on the undersides of the
cars. Occasionally one or another of the
local parents would get incensed, and
come outside to holler out at a speeder  -
usually unheard, and always unheeded  -
about going too fast. 'Slow Down!'
The curiosity of this always struck me
as a great lesson in early physics (to my
young mind), that none of those adults
ever caught onto : you can't yell at the
future from a stance in the present
about a situation in the past. (If you
break down the entire speeding car
sequence, you'll get what I mean  -
the speeding car entering, fast (the
past), the adult outside, seeing this
(the present), and then yelling
off to a speeding, escaping car
(the future) which driver would
not hear them anyway and which car
and driver had already left  the scene.
I always found that coaxingly curious).
In any case, each time that clearing
had occurred, the township or whoever
it was, would send a drag-truck out
and they'd truck-rake all the pebbles
back up to the center of the roadway,
where the entire thing would begin
all over. About 1964 (I was not living
there), the entire roadway was paved,
like a regular, broad street, changing
the appearance of it quite drastically).
Note: By such means do 'realities' pass
over into 'memories' in that constantly
expanding palace of, as I mentioned.
-
I never knew what to make of any
of that; it was more as if I was a 
blind painter, using my impression 
of things to form a picture, although 
that picture was bereft of form or 
outline  -  it looking instead like 
something wavy, as seen from
underwater. Like that physics 
thing about the roadway, it was 
all in my guise of wearing that 
'other' coat, the one that people 
would never see. I wondered
how prevalent things like that 
were, for in my case all it led to 
was my never being 'satisfied' 
about anything. And I did notice 
how so many others were always
satisfied, glib, and happy  -  the 
things I could never be. And, in
my turn, I never knew what this
life was expected to turn out like.
For me, or for anyone. The funny
thing was  -  in a new place as this
all was, these houses, and land
around it, the places, etc.  -  it all
really WAS constantly expanding.
As a kid, wherever I'd get to always
would open out to five new things :
a walk though 'this' woods, bringing 
us to, surprisingly, 'that' pond, and
then 'that' old trail, which led to 
'those' tracks, which brought us 
over 'that' little hill to 'that' factory. 
Things, constantly expanding,
an entire world of added items,
which we were never, before that, 
aware of. So, maybe those guys,
Danielewski, and Smith, were in 
their own ways, quite right. For me,
on the other hand, in my 'dual' coats, 
I had plenty of room to roam. I could
be in one place, with the one coat,
while yet exploring the depths and
the possibilities of everything else,
in that 'other' coat. Remarkable.



No comments: