Saturday, October 21, 2017

10,077. RUDIMENTS, pt. 111

RUDIMENTS, pt. 111
Making Cars
There's a photograph that has
always stayed with me -  nothing
special, just one I could never shake.
It has something to do with the sort
of person I am, which has usually
never been a good thing. Dead end.
Ineffectual. A tad too sensitive for
my own good, or at least too sensitive
for the sort of rip-your-heart-out
piss-in-your-face tactics that people
who get ahead put to use. This
photograph did everything (below)
necessary to both make me sad,
and anger me at the same time.
I know, you're going to start saying,
'why'd you look at it then?' That's
a typical power-guy's response. I
looked at it BECAUSE it hurt, and
if you can't understand that, well then,
you're one of them. You're one of all
those other people in that photo. Just
like, in Vietnam days, those two iconic
photos which were well-publicized
and which closed the book on that
ridiculous and pathetic war (the guy
in the street a Vietcong prisoner, getting
the side of his head blown off by the
captor-guard who is about two feet
away from him, and the other one of
that girl, those little naked kids, fleeing
and screaming as napalm burns their skin).
I know I could never live like that, and  -
soldiers or not  -  if I ever saw any one of
the guys that did that stuff, I'd be sure to
stab them to death, and maybe then (only
then), say 'thanks for your service.'
-
All of this stuff hits me hard and hits
home. It's just what my character's about.
Any of otherwise gung-ho crap about
'my country' and 'defending Freedom'
and all that crap is pure, boilerplate,
rip-off BS. Nothing of that exists at all,
in any way. All those podunk guys
bending elbows in Legion and Elk Halls
and all that, blubbering over their past -
they're all hunks. Salami. Baloney. Capicola
too. Seasoned and processed, and not
good for you at all. My time in New York,
a good portion of the beginning time anyway,
was taken up with, and squandered, with
US draft and Vietnam stuff. Those people
were absolute evildoers. The induction
center on lower Broadway then, called
'Whitehall' but not on Whitehall Street,
was a pale-green-walled mental camp
for retards. People in suits and uniforms,
demanding fealty to Death. And everyone
just accepted all that. It was pretty hideous,
and I'm at least glad that those photos came
out and were publicized and printed so as,
in their own way, to pull the panties down
on these military pieces of shit.
-
So, you want to say I'm not wounded and
maimed from Vietnam service, go ahead.
You want to say I don't have a good grip
on myself and am not giving credit where
credit's due, go ahead. And then meet me
in the alley, OK. When I look at this photo
the one I first referenced, I still fume. I
fume at all the duplicitous garbage that
this country has always, always, been
underway with. If you ever thought I'd
fight for that, you're crazy. Here's the 
background story, as I'll put it for you. 
The last thing I wanted to do today was 
get on a rant here about all the sorrowful 
moments that have rattled my past life 
and how they now affect my present. 
But this just came up. I just completed, 
based on some old California musings, 
a book entitled 'Cadillac Desert'  -  all
essentially about the 'California,' later
20th century water situation. Of which 
there is none, really, and how it's all
dammed and taken from others  -  all
this Eel River and Feather River and,
down south, the Mulholland stuff, the
Colorado and Snake Rivers, Arizona,
Idaho, etc. It's all an artificial fantasy
of water  -  trouble abounds. AND it's
built upon the broken backs of any 
number of Indian tribes  -  whose 
people have been coerced, stolen 
from, transplanted, and then transplanted 
again, and then again too. Endless lands
taken from them. Areas of their tribal
and sacred lands submerged; they been
treated and betrayed in the most dastardly,
evil (again, that word) ways by every level
of the US Government, top to bottom
because of water need, using only ONE 
example. Mostly so that shit-ass Americans
can move there, have their sub-divisions,
lawns, pools, sprinklers, strip malls, movies
stores, clubs and cabanas, highways, interstates,
bridges, dams and water-supply, and
indigenous people be damned. The gifted 
endeavors of  a civilization in search of 
the well-sprinklered lawn. So take your 
guns and bombs and go fight for that.
-
'One of the last-known consequences 
of water development in America is its
impact on the Indians who hadn't already
succumbed to the U.S. Cavalry, smallpox, 
and social rot. Although many of the tribes
had been sequestered on reservations that
were far from the river-bottoms where they
used to live, some tribes had been granted
good reservation land...Colonel Pick, for
the Interior Dept., got his way when the
Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs
tore up Interior's version of the bill and
wrote its own version as dictated by a
still-smoldering Pick...the tribes would not
even be allowed to fish in the new reservoir
being created. Their cattle would not be
permitted to drink from it or graze by it.
They had no right to purchase electrcity
generated from it (the dam). They were
disallowed to use government monies 
granted the tribes, to hire attorneys. They
were not even allowed to cut the trees
which were to be drowned by the reservoir
anyway, nor were they allowed to haul
them away...The bill was signed in May, 
1948. At the signing, stood George Gillette,
leader of the tribal business council. 'The 
members of the tribal business council
sign this with a heavy heart. The future
does not look good.' Then he cradled
his face, and began to cry.'


No comments: