Sunday, October 29, 2017

10,106. THINKING TO EMPTY EVERYTHING

THINKING TO 
EMPTY EVERYTHING
Clyde, Clyde, let's take a ride; I've lost
my sense of feeling and this car wants
to roll. There are those mountains at the
Allegheny I sorely want to cross. The
section, in the beginning, of 'On the 
Road'  -  so cool  -  hitchhiker going
the wrong way, towards Bear Mountain 
in fact, somehow thinking he was West.
Beats me on that one; but then the ride
and those old folks who pick up him and he
gets to that bridge at the end of Pennsylvania
and comes across that old man, 'the old man
of the Alleghenies' he calls him. Wants to 
be the long-lost Dad, but it's not. We used
to read that aloud, on the little stage they
had at a place called The Naked Lunch, on
east 6th. Now it's called The Sidewalk Cafe,
and although it's all still there it's not the same.
I'd like to say that about myself too, but I'm
really not sure if I'm 'all still there.'
-
People would clap for nothing and buy
us a beer. Can you believe, back then,
in 1968, a beer was 35 cents. Glory be,
what I wouldn't give for all that again.

No comments: