Tuesday, October 31, 2017

10,115. I RAN INTO

I RAN INTO
At the Copacabana Club I ran
into Huey Long. He was with 
Desi Arnaz, and I was surprised 
they knew each other. Desi said,
'Oh, yes, we go way back. I met him
through Lucille.' 'Do you mean
'Casting Couch Lucy?' I wanted
to say, but thought better of it. Down
south they had their own kind of 
Cuban Mafia, and although they 
didn't seem tough, they could be.
Why muscle with muscle, thought I.
Then I went into the lobby, where
there was also a pool, and there were
five or six ladies around it, in those
odd 1950's swim-suits with the little
modesty thing over the groin area. I
used to thing that was sexier than a 
tiny suit, to tell the truth  -  anyway, 
these were all throwback suits, not the
real thing. I found out later I was wrong,
but that's not part of this tale. When you
go down south, there are sometimes hens
and chickens everywhere, and old cotton
plants line the Carolina roads. It's a weird
feeling, getting to Cuba, because you first 
have to get to 'not-Cuba'  -  which takes 
all the work. I don't mind the driving, but
it's all those Georgia cattle-trucks that
bug me  - metal sheds on wheels, filled
with fat pigs on their way to slaughter.

No comments: