Saturday, October 7, 2017

10,035. RUDIMENTS, pt. 97

RUDIMENTS, pt. 97
Making Cars
I've often walked about thinking
that if I'd only had a better working
relationship with my father, things
could have been different. Wayward
son, indeed. I'm no better now, in my
own dealings. And I've made mention
here how I truly think it's a class thing.
Not to cast blame, or try to wiggle out,
but just using my own personal experience,
I've always seen how 'better' people
seem to have the tighter family units.
That's all  -  it's not much of an observation,
but it sure seems true. We never even had
a joke between us. Some guys joke with
their fathers all the time. It's a failing. I
noticed it  -  stiff decorum is a waste of
time. No matter, because I've learned for
sure that I've got no answers, and most all
my once-friends, and contemporaries,
have by now, as well, buried their own
parents along the way, jokes or not.
All my own father ever did, really, was
pound into my head the idea that I had
to work hard, stay at it, get a good job, be
the best, work like a dog, be subservient,
follow orders, go along, and all that.
Whatever was any of that supposed to
be? I never knew. The cool guys I met,
those 'other' classes, they were all the
smooth, smiling guys, never a problem
or a complication  -  money, habit, position.
It was all there for them, and when they
got along they already knew how much
was to be coming their way, family fortune,
trust fund outlays, and the rest. Doctors,
Attorneys. Financial Advisors. No sweat
and no worries. I was a dog, and I soon
realized it. If I, at any one time, had more
than twenty dollars on me, it didn't feel right.
I'd be sitting around somewhere, with some
monied New York type, Studio School guy
or whatever, and the subject would turn
(not with me, so much as while they'd be
talking with others) to who it was they invested
with, T. Rowe Price, or Edwards Investments,
or whatever. I felt like Elmer Fudd.
-
Maybe all that is nothing, but it rubbed a sort
of salt into a sort of raw wound. Maybe I
should have just quit, or drowned myself.
I'd be out at the piers, along the Hudson
Waterfront  -  all these hundreds of weird
gay dudes trying to pick each other up. Those
piers back then were a gay Eden; there'd be
every sort of tight-crotch flamer trying to
throw off some steam, walking around,
loitering, cruising, figuring for a pick-up
at least. (Do I want to add 'fingering?')...
There were those dead-empty lots, for sex;
and trucks, open-ended box containers, male
and female sexual activity everywhere. It
was crazy, the craziest thing I'd ever seen.
It kept just getting worse, and then AIDS
hit, much later and it all blew up in everyone's
faces. But by then it was too late  -  the lines
had been drawn each person had their side.
Those who knew what they were doing, did
it. The rest just died or got caught in a really
shitty vice that kept clamping tighter. I guess
the word 'vice' here too has two meanings.
-
No matter  -  try explaining something like
that anyway to dear old Dad, whose sight
horizon ended at like the corner of his lawn,
where the watering hose ran out. My point
is, somehow I'd gotten distant and lost as
my own horizons expanded way past those
I'd been led to. It's extremely difficult and,
as Thomas Wolfe put it in his phrasing,
'you can't go home again.' My rope was
cut, and my anchor long gone. The only
ballast I had to throw over was the huge
weight of all my bad ideas and learning
and knowledge from years past  -  schoolyard
crap and classroom learning. All of which,
incredibly, my father still respected as
meaningful, and felt meant things. There
was no explaining any of that. My mother,
same thing, but another story too  -  lady
things and mother things that I never even
went near. I never had a relationship there.
-
I never tried at all to replace those lost 
people with others. I decided it was best 
to just stay alone. Dog-like, again, I 
wandered, and  -  to my surprise  -  that 
became good for me, acceptable, and 
welcomed. I was at home in the world 
though not of it. Perfect. A true, no-baggage 
transit point, all mine. My no-limits life 
was on its way to wreckage, but I was, 
for a while, a booster for wreckage. Do
you know, or can you remember, being 
young, when weird types would actually 
come by you (I can remember this vividly) 
trying to sell 'boosters' for a few dollars in 
the back of some crummy program booklet or
guide of whatever sort, for their organization. 
At first all that really perplexed me. Booster? 
What's that? Then I'd see the ballet program 
from a sister's dancing-school class recital,  
or the local Little League Dinner booklet, 
and understand what a booster was  - a tiny 
little back-of-the-book ad where you could 
pretty much write whatever you wanted,
mysterious or not, and they'd print it. 'I 
like Janie,' or 'Johnny's the one!', or most
anything. I ended up thinking that was
pretty cool  -  never did any, but liked the
idea. It was like a real-life graffiti that no
one would ever bother, at least for the two
that the program books was around before 
hitting the trash can.
-
So that was all it for me  -  it was all a
question of definitions. The defining of
what it was you wanted or were after. 
Sounds easy, but it never was, and to 
this day I'm still on the same, endless
quest  -  pretty much as ever : finding the
streets that still have cobblestones, as
it were. Staying afar from the nearing
dangers of whatever crud they call this
'civilization' now. I like to locate the lost
and the wasted, and make it, or them, mine.
Perhaps that's the dead, dumb heritage of 
whatever greater, cosmic 'self-heritage' I've 
been given. Parentless, now, a long time,
and adrift in a world I probably never 
even see, saw, or wanted to. How the
hell did I end up being everyone's
Dad? Sometimes that's exactly
what I ask myself.




No comments: