Tuesday, October 24, 2017

10,087. RUDIMENTS, pt. 114

RUDIMENTS, pt. 114
Making Cars
I have a couple of notions, and
they're always fun, and this here
is all true. I simply relate. When
we first moved to Avenel there
was a lady there, I guess she was
a widow  -  -  she lived right across
from the elementary school, in a
brick building fronting the street,
her half of which was her little
housing unit - back then it had
a side entrance  - gone now, and
next to it was a tiny little store
which she ran. It was very quaint
and cute, for 1955 I guess. Gloves
and shirts, towels and handkerchiefs,
all sorts of linens and such, things
referred to as 'Notions.' I always
thought that was pretty cool,
whatever 'notions' was. These
were of course still the old,
American days of small business
and stores, local people who you
knew. (When I worked as a 'dept. mgr.'
at Barnes & Noble, Clark, NJ, they
used to hire as district managers
and such all sorts of outsiders who
lived way up in Bergen County
and other places. The last guy
they brought in had previously
been with 'Staples'  -  he's now
with Bed, Bath & Beyond, or one
of those. I said to him 'Staples?'
and then asked what that had to do
with books, he said, 'It's all the
same, merchandise is merchandise,
and, anyway, (his famous quote)
'Book people are weird.' I never
got to the bottom of that one. Point
is, all local color and influence
gets lost, and no one notices. Even
here in this stupid Podunk of Avenel,
the fire house sign board always
reads, 'Buy Local.' The only thing
local around here of late are the
highway motels and their assorted
hookers and 'chambermaids'
working overtime. Outside of the
occasional tomato, grapefruit or
ice cream cone or sandwich,
everything around here has been
turned over to an endless progression
of (and happily so, as they brag
over each one like it's a big catch),
national-name chain stores, Best Buy,
Target, TJ Maxx,, all that crud that
so proudly adorns the malls and
highway plazas and all that. So
I never know what they're talking
about with all their side-splitting
comic routines. You can't even buy
a pair of pliers nicely around here,
unless you go to a big chain store.
'Locally made' or not.
-
My point was, for whatever value it
had, Mrs. Kuzmiak (the store lady)
was about as local and authentic as
you could get. A local church lady,
eventually and friend to my mother
and all her church cronies too, after
we'd moved here and got a little
settled, she probably felt, as well,
that she'd struck gold with these 300
or so new inhabitants. That always
happens at first blush  -  it fades after
a while, but first the local business
people see dollar signs everywhere,
all these newly arrived people needing
knit hats and socks and clothes. Like
having a new business, shoes or donuts,
right at the pier for the immigrant ships
as they roll in. The local ladies actually
did shop there  -  I remember all the neat
open glass cabinets and tables, with
little dividers, showing the merchandise.
It sure was NOT yesterday, but I can
close my eyes and walk through that
place just as if it WAS yesterday. And
her little house doorway too  -  gone
now. It was very neat. The flip side of
all this small-town lovey-dovey stuff,
and something that today would be
looked at aghast, with the two schools
right there across the street  -  and
something also that puts the lie to it
all, is that right there, at school-lunch
free-time, in front of Mrs. Kuzmiak's
(Modesty Alert Here!) my friend
Jimmy Yacullo and I got, right there,
taken aside by some guy, unknown,
who had a deck of cards which he
proceeded to show us, on the back
of which each card (really) had a
different naked lady with a guy's
full-blown unit in her mouth. We
were flabbergasted, not even sure
what the hell was being shown to us,
and the stupid guy chuckling 'Hee hee,
look at that! She's got the whole thing.'
That's how far afield from storybook
stuff real life really is  -  even right
outside poor, old Mrs. Kuzmiak's
dry goods and notions store.
-
I think there's always two sides to all
this goodness and happiness stuff  -  in
that, always lurking, is a dark underside
just waiting to snatch you, best intentions
aside. When you're a kid and they teach
you that the cop's your friend, you don't
really understand the safety-hatch they're
extending to you. It's a scary world. The
sun-side of life, as represented to us by
the wholesome, white goodness of Mrs.
Kuzmiak's store and self, was accompanied
by the dark-side of every bad intention
that 1957 possessed, and little did we
know. The funniest part of it was how,
by 1967, a mere 10 years later, Mrs.
Kuzmiak, in her dotage and really old
age, I guess, jumped all over my mother,
who was totally embarrassed by it all,
for allowing me to be (apparently) so
out of control  - unkempt hair, sloppy,
hippie-ish manners and all, as if it
was my mother's fault. 'What happened
to Gary?' was her complaint to my
mother in front of others and in her
church basement, at a social, no less.
My mother was humiliated. What is
it, anyway, that people do or do not
understand about others? And what
business is it of theirs anyway? So, as
soon I was able, anyway, I high-tailed
it out of town as quickly as the local
Carteret bus would take me. That's
all she wrote. I was so done.
-
Thus, for a while that was my reality, until
I forcibly changed it. I was pretty much
a 1968 mental case, I admit. The world
wasn't ready for me, and neither was I
ready for it. There was simply no
reciprocation between the two. For
a while I really did think I was lost,
but it eventually all came together.
Alienation's a funny thing  -  at first it
feels really bad and painful, but then
over time it goes away as you just begin
to rationalize you plight, and overcome
it. I mostly felt like an orphan, even
though I'd done it to myself, and you
really can't 'orphan' your self away. It's
not that simple; more like I had willingly
and knowingly repudiated anything I
once may have had. Besides, unlike all
those other kids and people around me,
I had no money for the really big things,
like, for instance, analysis  -  which was
a big NY thing at the time. Anyone who
was anything and had a smidgen of self
awareness also had a shrink, even a family
analyst. I was so far from that it was
laughable, so to buttress my own position
I constructed this whole anti-analysis
stance, about how it kills creativity and
only tries to make you normal, how it
stifles any 'impulses' one may have
towards the new and the daring, how
a complete understanding of self just
makes you into a normal everyman. My
idea was that, at seventy-five bucks an
hour, the analyst was a killer, and that
the whole point of life was the 'personal'
coming to grips with self, and attaining
awareness, and that the toil and the
struggle of all that is what made great
artists and writers. I never gave
'understanding it' first any credit.
That whole deal can be argued endlessly
and all day long, and I know I could
probably argue either side. And then,
to my fortunate rescue, came R. D. Laing,
the now-deceased philosopher of a vague
sort of pop-philosophy of the asylum
that saved me. He said, basically, that
everyone is crazy, and that the crazy
is the normal. That was good enough
for me, and all the other fine-tuned
parts of that, by 1974, I read slowly and
carefully, and found ways, through it,
to at least get by, if not save myself.
There's in fact, absolutely no way to
make those sorts of distinctions, anywhere,
nor in any form of Life. If that crazy guy,
peddling his playing cards of guys getting
their banners torched by naked babes, was
normal, then as a 7 or 8 year old, Jim
and I were the crazy ones. Undereneath it
all, I realize now, there never was any 
'idyllic' place anywhere  -  in any phase
or age of life, people were always underway
with, yes, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The entire 'sacred' American ideal, anywhere,
was bunk, and Tom Sawyer was always
lusting for Becky Thatcher, and probably
inviting Huck and Jim in on it too.
-
I have to admit that NY City answered all
my prayers, as I professed to a belief in
nothing. This place was all about 'nothing,'
in the philosophical sense. The highest
aspirations of Humankind lived there, as did
the very lowest, and most of the real energy
was spent digging for the lowest. But I 
understood real quickly that it called for
another language, another way of speaking,
and another point of view  -  each of which
I adapted to very quickly. I've mentioned 
this once or twice before, but it wasn't 
but maybe three months or so after I was
there  -  having finally settled in and found
my place and rhythm  -  that, along 8th 
Street, which was by then 'my' street and
home, that a group of Woodbridge High
School kids stumbled upon me. There were
maybe 5 or 6 of them, out for the day on
the town or whatever, and, upon seeing 
me, it was all hi, hail, hello how are you. 
Like I was their best friend from forever  
-  these were kids who, a mere 2 or 3 months 
previous would have held me in complete 
disdain and contempt. Now I was, to them,
representative of some complete ideal of
getting away, escaping, and making all
that work. If they only knew. The best
I could do was say,' Hey, hi. Is Mrs.
Kuzmiak with you?' Well, I made those
words up, didn't say that at all. But at 
least I'd kept my sense of humor and
wits about me. Now, where's those cards?




No comments: