Friday, October 6, 2017

10,030. AFTER TEA CAKES AND THE PUDDING PIE

AFTER TEA CAKES 
AND THE PUDDING PIE
Then came the cholera, and we had to
flee. There were 3800 dead by the end 
of July. I went northwest, to the Village
of Greenwich, but it wasn't enough. I too
was dead in five weeks. Though I'd heard,
(luck be good) you'd made it to Philadelphia
by wagon and are still around. That's good.
For I miss you, but there's nothing here now.
-
I hope you can stay there a long time, yes,
but just as much I admonish you to keep 
moving  -  get to clean water and countryside
raw. These city places are sick and stricken,
and yours is no different. It's just time.
-
Landed and bound, there's but trouble coming. 
Take to the sea, my good friend, take to the sea.
(Then came the cholera and we had to flee).

No comments: