Friday, September 30, 2022

15,647. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,311

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,311
(the emperor of nothing, pt. THIRTEEN)
I'd rather think strange thoughts than
be normal. I usually drift along on a
narrative of my own. Bits and pieces
of everything. When I was younger I 
used to think about these years I'm
now living. It's all very scary, because,
being born in 1949, I used to think
about numbers and age, the turn of
the century (which came and went
anyway, in a blink), and about 'when
I would die.' William Blake died at
age 70, and I always used that as a
guideline anyway. (This is where it 
gets scary) - I always figured that the
year of my own death would be 2022.
Damn it all, if that's not now! All of 
a sudden my usual good health has
been falling apart these past 3 months.
Nothing good at all. I've just turned
73, and can only think 'Holy Hell!'
In the past I'd imagine my last years
as a sort of deep seclusion, amidst
quiet and peace. I' figured I'd finally
have tome to do all that reading I've
wanted to do (having, like a fool, 
some 4,000 books on hand). So, I
am doing that, yes, and I have that
leisured seclusion I sought. But, age
has reeled me in  -  my wife Kathy
is deadly ill and it's spinning out of
control. I've got problems, doctors all
of a sudden, and really uncomfortable
realizations to deal with and face off.
For the most part, everything's fallen 
apart. So I sit here, doing my stuff, in
a seclusion. We both do. Trying now
to make each moment count  - for
something anyway. Getting old isn't
for the faint of heart, I'd say, but that's
a dumb statement too. The heart
matters now, faint or not! So I'm all
mixed up and uselessly confused.
-
Mind wanders, things go awry. Sometimes
I just think I'm dreaming: Kafka, Dos Passos,
Blake or Pynchon, any of them fit me well.
Where Jack Stove fits in ? I never know. I
figure this late in life, probably, a person
isn't really meant to be meeting new
personalities. The game is too far along,
the rings and outlines are already set, and
have been My stately manner of thought
now is all screwed up. Discombobulated.
I walked into a Walmart the other day, just
for some needed things from a household
list my wife had given me, and I got
bushwhacked (it was September 27th, mind
you) by that Walmart, on a Tuesday, taking
its retail calendar break and setting their
displays up for Christmas! And it was mostly
elderly people doing it  -  in these parts
somehow Walmart, and the adjoining Home
Depot as well, seem to have become havens
for either first-employers (immature kids, tats,
piercings, weird hair colorings and all that)
or doddering oldsters in an apparent surge
of post-retirement jobs, perhaps necessitated
by the porous and lame economy we now
live in. Made of mostly of junk, of course,
for which Walmart carries the banner. All
the things that I thought I knew where they'd
be had been moved and relocated, and all
were replaced by gaggles of Christmas items -
lights, wires, decorations, fake trees in fake
tree boxes, spray cans of scent, snow, frost,
and icicles too. The poor old people were
slaving away in little Walmart bibs and 
name tags - with a few of morons actually
like Santa-elf caps. It's actually a shame
that, in the name of lucre and commerce,
an operation as idiotic as Walmart can 
get away doing that to people. I could only 
imagine the paucity of life they must endure,
and I felt instantly sorry and just wanted to
flee. What must these people say to each
other? Do they admit to a failure of will
and imagination, schlepping ridiculous
Chinese-made idiot tokens of a false,
seasonal frivolity? Is there any truth to
their lives left? It was very disheartening,
and I yearned, really yearned, for a true
American moment of truth and reckoning;
but I realized there was none, and never
would be. Hell, I began cheering. Cheering
instead for the likes of Jack Stove, and my
stalwart friend Bob, and my farmer friend,
Ken  -  who apparently knows enough, as
he put it (see previous chapter) to  pull
his unit out to pee. Heck, that's a start.
-
So what's left? What are we given to work
with? I'm afraid not much. Like Jack Stove,
in his wooded shack-castle, with his eight
tendentious but happy dogs, the real glory
of the passing moment is in just living it,
sovereign and free and  -  if it comes to that  - 
alone. I can only HOPE to someday reach
their quiet sagacity, but I feel my days are
dwindling, and dwindling too fast for any
of that. It is, after all, already late in 2022.

No comments: