Wednesday, September 14, 2022

15,592. KEPT RUNNING

KEPT RUNNING
I guess I wanted too much from
this one life and thereby never got 
on. Didn't say I never GOT it on,
OK, but really nothing ever soared.
To Hell with all that. I moved my
chessmen only where they wanted
to go, first having a talk with them
and then thinking to give them their
way. What did it get me? Forty traffic
tickets over time, a few penalty fees,
and a robust round of attitudes and
troubles always stalking. I managed 
lying low as good as any President
could manage a war: Men falling 
all around me, and blood running
in the streets. Someone was always
talking at me about The Promised
Land or Hell or Salvation too. I
wanted them all  -  a contradiction
that has turned quite fatal.
-
Having parked my car along the
cliff, yes, it eventually fell over the
edge and tumbled  -  a wreck in the
valley below. People tried to tell me,
and I loved them all for that. But I
ran and always kept running...so,
don't forget my last few marbles,
they're still working pretty well -
as round as glory, and as shined
as my soul. How I never attained
anything? A story to be told.
-
I did the Beatles and the Kinks,
Bob Dylan and the Stones. I walked
past barricades when the guns were
shooting past me. I cursed out cops
and belittled teachers and priests
and parents. It was all in code.
The key was in my heart, an old
Rosetta Stone of good intentions
read-out poorly as an evil intent.
No one ever got my translation.

No comments: