Thursday, September 22, 2022

15,618. THAT'LL HAVE TO BE ANOTHER STOPPING-OFF PLACE

THAT'LL HAVE TO BE ANOTHER STOPPING-OFF PLACE
I've got no reason to be there, actually, and right
here the fire is warm. I'm fine. Why should I
go where I don't have to go and learn nothing
new from the going? There are major these 
impediments, don't you see. Elmira, you say?
Or Ohio again? A couple of folks there I once
knew. I suppose that would be nice.
-
It's a little town, a place not like this at all.
It has curbs, and gutters, and sewers. The
roadways are paved and have lines, lights,
and signals too! A couple doctors, and a
veterinarian clinic, for animals, that takes
people too? It's all starting to sound like
Ripley's Believe It Or Not!
-
I like places with rivers. Susquehanna, the
Delaware, the Chemung and the Conestoga.
The Hudson's OK but old hat  -  too many 
people, and all the old stories of merchants
and Dutch are so gone it's now laughable.
-
There's some major scene in a movie I once
saw  -  about some northern Scottish clime  -
they send some agent out to take over a town, 
and try and convince the people that progress
would be good for them. They won't hear
none of it, of course, and the guy just about
gets hung. Then he changes his mind, and
takes their side. Calls in the big boss, who
flies out to see what's up. Conflict, yes, but
(only in the movies) he too comes around,
and somehow the old ways win!

No comments: