Saturday, September 3, 2022

15,560. LONNY LINK

LONNY LINK
Lonny Link on Labor Day.
I read the sign not knowing.
It's a train ride through the
woods : something on the
order of novelty, and it runs
with a huff along the river.
-
My friend Rodney now works
at Dave's. It's a small store for
groceries where  -  instead of
working there  -  he used to
just sit outside, at the bench,
drinking beer. A sort of regular.
-
Attendance was great, so they 
finally asked him in! Now, with
his hair cut and his old beard
trimmed, he services the shelves,
moving cans and such around.
A nice, simple-man's job for,
he says, 8 bucks an hour, maybe
24 hours a four-day week. It's
not his cup of tea, but he has
some bills to pay.
-
I stumbled onto him, by accident,
when he called out my name. I
was walking past the aisle where
he was rearranging soups. Just
outside, the old trains rumbled
slowly along.


No comments: