Sunday, September 25, 2022

15,628. I DON'T FIGHT FOR ANYTHING

I DON'T FIGHT FOR ANYTHING
My father used to say 'You handle a
mackerel by the tip of its nose.' I was
nine years old at the time, and I never
knew what he meant. Nose?
-
Now, so much later, I still don't know
anything much worth repeating. Nor
do I fight for anything  -  you all can
have whatever it is you want. Anyone
is entitled to make their own mistakes.
-
I removed my name and number from
the card catalogue long ago. And then
they removed the card catalogues too,
so it all came out the same. My old 
friend Aleck died on the sidewalk in 
Santa Monica or some God-forsaken
place like that. Doc said he was dead
before he hit the ground. That must
have been something, and how's
that go anyway?
-
Too much silence can get on your nerves,
and it works the other way around too.
So what's the difference to that? Surely,
again, nothing I'd ever fight over.

No comments: