Tuesday, September 27, 2022

15,634. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,307

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,307
(the emperor of nothing, pt. NINE) 
I'm the kind of person for whom
certain questions that would mean
nothing to anyone else somehow
or other consume me. For instance,
is there a connection between the
work 'malign,' - as when you talk
ill of someone or talk them down,
especially when they're not present,
and the word 'malingerer,' which
in other words is someone who
hangs about maliciously or with
bad intent. They would seem, 
visually anyway, to have common 
roots and bases  -  though I'm not
sure of that at all, except for the
Latin word 'mal' - rooted in 'evil.'
That would kind of cover each
case. Anyway, it's of no real
import.
-
I often think of words - somehow
it's easy for me, and strings of them
come. When this Jack Stove fellow
began telling me how it's all 'words,' 
the whole world we inhabit, (in that 
barn-fire scene) something clicked.
Christopher Columbus himself could
have entered no clearer sailing than
that. Stove had hit on it! Words. One
Mind. Concepts. Everything after
that was just clear. Perfectly. But
I couldn't really communicate that
back to him. One of the problems
with conclusions is that they're only
clear to the person concluding - all
the small items, pitfalls, experiences,
and undertakings that go into making
up 'conclusions' are, at base, totally 
personal things. THAT conclusion, 
if you follow the logic out, undermines
the idea of One Mind, by which Stove
claimed all things are shared. It turns
into a conundrum, like when you were
a kid and you start asking yourself 'How
do I know, when I see, say, 'yellow' that
that same 'yellow' is what you see when
you too say 'yellow.' It's stuff like that
that drives me crazy.
-
By those processes, it's hard to pin
anything down to any form of certainty.
Everything is always in flux and facing
change. I didn't say anything back to him
when I was there, but what I thought of
was to tell him how that is  -  everything
changing. His transference, my transference,
or anyone's transference, in terms of, say,
his firewood, is easy to explain, but I was 
too shy or nervous to get that started. I
think the 'transformation' of matter
is one of the greatest miracle-processes 
of Life as we know it  -  It's a completed
and constantly undergoing circle of
perfection, probably something that's
inherent in then very factor of what 
we call Life. Even normal biblically, 
and in religious and/or spiritual terms 
that have unknowingly become very 
common to us  -  'Transubstantiation,' 
for instance, a concept heisted by the 
'Catholic' Church (the WORD 'catholic' 
simply means 'a little bit of this, a little 
bit of that'), it's a catchall phrase to 
cover all the concepts and ideas from 
ancient religions which long-predated 
westernized, secular, society and which 
WE have the nerve to call pagan cults
and tribal and primitive 'religions', by
our own stupidities. All 'Gods' have
always been Nature Gods, or War
Gods. That's just the way it is, always
has been. His idea of One Mind, also
an old concept in terms, wasn't any
new breakthrough in terms of human
thinking or philosophy, but I was
nonetheless surprised when he made
mention  -  I began wondering how
deeper any of this may have gone
with him, and if we should discuss
such. I backed off because I couldn't
see any evidences of learning or of
research in the sections of the house
I saw. 
-
Humans have always used terms and
ideas that 'suggested' the idea of the
transformation of matter. I've already
mentioned transubstantiation, and
here add the phrase 'dust to dust, ashes
to ashes,' which cover the same concept.
That 'firewood' that over time transforms
from soil to tree, to timber to cutting to
growth, to log, into 'fire' and back into
the ether, first as gas, and as heat, and 
then again as cinder and back to the soil. 
That's a pretty complete, total cycle of 
being. And it reflects a life cycle perfectly.
Look at any cemetery of old (not so much
now, as many cemeteries have become
just drawers and shelves; losing the
cemetery feel and getting all cheap
and glitzy with marble and gilt).
-
I wondered, if I had brought any of 
that up, how he would have reacted  -  
furthering the conversation with ideas 
of his own? Or, rather, a complete fog 
(also a neat transformation of matter, 
fog is) that he wouldn't have grasped. 
I realized there was lots yet to find 
out from visiting him. Recluse? 
Local hillbilly? Or smart and
schooled man? 

No comments: