Wednesday, September 7, 2022

15,568. BRAVERMAN TRINKETS

BRAVERMAN TRINKETS
As a Yeshiva student I took all
my eating days as they came - 
some were better than others.
Yes. Rukelsky's challah and
chicken broth, superb, even
anytime; while Gernstein's 
old food was but scraps 
thrown back to me; as I
suffered in silence.
-
What else does a student
Jew do? Is it not the lot of
our people? At the other end
of the same ridiculous scale, the
goys at Coney Island drove me
mad. Home was read strikes and
and union labels, all else trayf, 
and it was everywhere. 
-
The East Broadway vendor carts
that led me to Grand Street? Samr
thing, as I walked  -  the luscious
watermelon slivers, ice cream dabbled
on a bit of paper, an ear of corn from
a steaming kettle, sprinkled heavy
with salt and butter, roasted chestnuts
from blackened in ovens over burning
charcoals, and hard-sugar candy with
its coating of blazing red.

No comments: