Wednesday, April 22, 2015

6638. STORYBOOK LANDING

STORYBOOK LANDING
Some soul-fated webfoot storyman was telling his tale
while the tables turned and the outside sky darkened. 
I knew I didn't want to hear, but probably would. The
cardinal crowd sought sensation, and he was already
all tuned up. 'Permit me voyages, love, into your hands.'
I knew that maybe as a little Hart Crane, but this guy's
routine was to make jokes of everything, and this soon
became his jerk-off joke of the night. Big funny.
-
My genealogy rotates mostly around destruction. Vlad
the Impaler, I just found out, was my great-grandaddy's
offshoot of a brother; time-traveler as well. 'Do you know
where you're headed? Can you stake me a dime?' were the
big jokes in my family. I'm still laughing  -  and a head
on a spike, of course, should always line the roadside.
-
From here to Florida, Route One would really look
grand with spikeheaded mileage markers all along the 
way. Or do you not think so? Please be careful  -  
and do not disagree. The repercussions are bad.

No comments: