Wednesday, April 8, 2015

6582. A SET-TO OF PURE AND CHILDISH DRIVEL

A SET-TO OF PURE 
AND CHILDISH DRIVEL
Here, with the toy box open, are my suicide friends
again. Joe and 'Spunky' both, they've come back but
I don't know why. 'Spunky's' name was really Ed, which
I'd rather much prefer, and Joe was always Joe. In this
set, he's called in, after ten years, with Margaret, to say
he's really alive and this was all a hoax, a cover-story by
him to disappear or to achieve something I didn't quite
get. I told him 'fuck-you, and don't expect me around.'
Ed, on the other hand, had reappeared with bags and
bags, canvas, filled with his tools, which he was giving
away to a kid. They were both perched on the floor and 
the child gleefully looked up and told me 'he's giving me
all his tools!' I smiled and said, 'Ed, no more for you?'
Later on, in that kind of time/no time that we deal with
here, the street outside was filled with huge plastic
toys  -  the kid had been there for hours, arranging these
large planes and cars, each item either orange or blue,
along the street, for some hundred feet along. What a
sight it made, and Ed was in the rear bedroom, still 
pulling out tools, to no one now. I walked in and said
'have you seen what that kid's done out in the street, the 
way kids used to play, outdoors  -  all his toys and cars  -
you never see that anymore, kids outside, minding
themselves and playing set-ups with things in the
street. I remember, we did it all the time.' He didn't
even look up. The other Joe guy, he never did show up.

No comments: